DIYAlgae Scrubber Help/Guidance

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So for a while Ive really wanted to make a diy up upflow algae scrubber to help reduce inorganic phosphate instead of using gfo, to help reduce calcification inhibition in my sps and to out compete the bubble algae in my DT. But Ihave a few unknown in respect to amount of leds, colors, ratios drivers power etc.My tank is a 36x20x20 60 gallon rimless tank with total water volume of 63 gallons. My dream/goal is to have an Acro/sps heavy tank, hence why nutrient export is of great importance. i also would like the unit to be functional while still be astetically pleasing to look at.

So far this is what I Have come up with to date. My plastic enclosures are roughly 10"x7"by 1.5" deep and the mesh screen is 8.5"x5.75". On the dry side I have two 3.5" by 0.25" deep circular heat sink with lots of surface area for cooling, since I know they will be running anywhere from 9-18 hours a day.
image1.jpg
image2.jpg

So first off, I originally was going to just use 2 LUXEON Rebel 655nm Deep Red LEDs and call it a day. But after doing some digging i see that a lot of people use/recommend using mostly deep reds with a few royal blues. My question being how many and at what ratio? (fyi i would like to run the less at 700ma on 1 dimmable driver if possible)

So when searching for places to get the deep red LEDs, I came across one who offers custom "stars" offer single LED stars, 3 LED Stars ,4 LED Stars and 7 LED Stars. So with that being said I'm Leaning to do either two 3 LED stars with 2 deep Reds and and 1 Royal Blue or two 4 LED stars with 3 Deep Reds and 1 Royal Blue. Which ratio is best or what other combo is recommended? I Know royal blues are much brighter then the reds and blues can cause hot spots on the screen and burn the algae on the screen, so guidance would be appreciated.
led.jpg

As far as driver/power supply I'm kinda lost. I know it really depends on whats the total number of LEDS but regardless Ide like to run leds at 700ma (to give good output but not pushing them to max to maximize lifespan) and have them manually dimmable so I can ramp them down/or up if their too bright or dim. Also eyeing a small type of driver Like a buck puck thats small enough to fit in the enclosure and light enough to be held up by the strong magnets I have. as for the power supply I need help as for that I am completely lost. Thanks in advanced

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back