Djardini Tang spot

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this on my new D’jardini Tang. Has been in my tank for only a week. The Clown Tang has been aggressive, e.g. posturing, swimming rapid circles around the Djardini and bumping into each other. The Djardini is a bit bigger and holds its ground. So this morning I noticed a little spot, which appears to be macular (not raised). He is acting great and eating very well. How can I tell minor apart from a disease that needs intervention?

IMG_5079.jpeg IMG_5071.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just noticed this on my new D’jardini Tang. Has been in my tank for only a week. The Clown Tang has been aggressive with it but most looks like posturing, swimming circles are the Djardini and bumping into each other. Djardini is a bit bigger and holds its ground. So this morning I noticed a little spot, which appears to be macular (not raised). He is acting great and eating very well. How can I tell minor apart from a disease that needs intervention?

this looks like a bite or sting mark and from looks of upper dorsal fin, there is aggression going on. Keep an eye on it for healing and not forthcoming infection. Other possibility is a prick from an urchin if you have one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this looks like a bite or sting mark and from looks of upper dorsal fin, there is aggression going on. Keep an eye on it for healing and not forthcoming infection. Other possibility is a prick from an urchin if you have one
Thanks for the response. The dorsal fin lesion was already there when I brought him home and looks about the same or better. No urchins or anemones. Did just add a green hydnophora coral but not sure how potent they sting. So watching for infection in a fish: would I expect to see redness or something? I am attaching a comparison pic from 2 days ago.

IMG_4997.jpeg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the response. The dorsal fin lesion was already there when I brought him home and looks about the same or better. No urchins or anemones. Did just add a green hydnophora coral but not sure how potent they sting. So watching for infection in a fish: would I expect to see redness or something? I am attaching a comparison pic from 2 days ago.

IMG_4997.jpeg
Redness yes or darker region in that area, Hydno has a sting but more towards coral

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this on my new D’jardini Tang. Has been in my tank for only a week. The Clown Tang has been aggressive, e.g. posturing, swimming rapid circles around the Djardini and bumping into each other. The Djardini is a bit bigger and holds its ground. So this morning I noticed a little spot, which appears to be macular (not raised). He is acting great and eating very well. How can I tell minor apart from a disease that needs intervention?

I would say the clown tang tagged it. As long as it doesn't continues, this will heal on its own I think.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a few hours later and the spot looked pretty clearly like a bite I might expect to turn up on a 2 year-old from the toddler room in daycare! You can actually make out the bite marks from the upper and lower lips.

With that said, the clown surgeonfish (tang) does seem to go after him quite a lot in the manner I described at the start of this thread. There are no new wounds, but should one expect this ill-tempered behavior to typically taper down with time, or do I need to give that clown a time out in a bucket for a few hours?

Attachments

• IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t you in Hawaii. That’s dedication.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aren’t you in Hawaii. That’s dedication.
Yes and Ive been gone off here quite a bit today. Had a super diving experience today and am quite shocked as to the amount of fish in these waters and this is one portion of the state. Not exaggerating, I saw at least 300-400 yellow tangs that were 8-10" round, hundreds of racoon butterflies , tangs attacking shell of sea turtle for the algae, other tangs at least 20" long, squirrel fish blue/yellow cleaner wrasses and so much more !!!
Girls are napping so I am on here briefly as nap sounds good. Its only 2:30p and 87 degrees and we are pooped. This time difference destroying us but what a beautiful Island !!
All my aquatic pics are on my Underwater camera

A few teaser pics:

1690763245640.jpeg
1690763282256.jpeg
1690763326795.jpeg
1690763359536.jpeg
1690763424489.jpeg
1690763453504.png

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So just a few hours later and the spot looked pretty clearly like a bite I might expect to turn up on a 2 year-old from the toddler room in daycare! You can actually make out the bite marks from the upper and lower lips.

With that said, the clown surgeonfish (tang) does seem to go after him quite a lot in the manner I described at the start of this thread. There are no new wounds, but should one expect this ill-tempered behavior to typically taper down with time, or do I need to give that clown a time out in a bucket for a few hours?
Cant say its healed but tangs heal fairly quickly

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and Ive been gone off here quite a bit today. Had a super diving experience today and am quite shocked as to the amount of fish in these waters and this is one portion of the state. Not exaggerating, I saw at least 300-400 yellow tangs that were 810" round, hundreds of racoon butterflies , tangs attacking shell of sea turtle for the algae, other tangs at least 20" long, squirrel fish blue/yellow cleaner wrasses and so much more !!!
Girls are napping so I am on here briefly as nap sounds good. Its only 2:30p and 87 degrees and we are pooped. This time difference destroying us but what a beautiful Island !!
All my aquatic pics are on my Underwater camera

A few teaser pics:

1690763245640.jpeg
1690763282256.jpeg
1690763326795.jpeg
1690763359536.jpeg
1690763424489.jpeg
1690763453504.png
Hope to see a summary of your trip on one of your threads and if you met up with KonaDiver etc.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hope to see a summary of your trip on one of your threads and if you met up with KonaDiver etc.
Kona diver and i spoke but he's close to an hour away and we had limited time as day one and 2 with friends and today and tomorrow we had tours planned and Tuesday we head to Miami beach and Key West

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say its healed but tangs heal fairly quickly
Yeah. She seems well. Just funny how at first is a very fresh ulcer and within a few hours there are fibrin plaques, like a scabs, outlining such a clear bite mark. At least, that’s my theory and I’m sticking’ to it. I’ll sell it for a dollar. Any buyers?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Time outs are pretty rough on the fish and rarely work. Tank dividers are a better option.

In this case, the issues are superficial (so far), so you might just try waiting it out.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! Now there is this wound to the posterior orbital rim which looks pretty serious. Is this serious?

Maybe time to pick which tang I like more?

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpeg
    IMG_5129.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5132.jpeg
    IMG_5132.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! Now there is this wound to the posterior orbital rim which looks pretty serious. Is this serious?

Maybe time to pick which tang I like more?

That looks more like the start of HLLE than an injury. Did it show up all at once, or did it gradually grow in size?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like the start of HLLE than an injury. Did it show up all at once, or did it gradually grow in size?

Jay
Well shoot. Hope not. I just noticed it all the sudden. Suppose I could have missed it but on the other hand, I have been watching for issues because of the clown tang being aggressive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mr. Hemdal. It does look highly suspicious doesn’t it? I read your article about activated charcoal. I was unaware of that association. I have had this fellow just about 5 days now. The tank parameters are quite stable, but I realized just recently my salinity has drifted up to about 37ppt. I am working to slowly bring that back down. I have never worked with a sump before and the water changes are interesting. I am figuring out a system.

Perhaps unrelated a patch of star polyps have retracted a few days ago. Only thing I could find was a little debris and diatoms on them. A little gentle debridement with a soft bristle toothbrush and that is fixed. I turned attention to chemistries and that is how I found the salinity had drifted up. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrates all zero. Phosphates 0-1. I did use some charcoal in the first month and by advice of a LFS, a couple tablespoons (rinsed in RODI) for 3-4 days twice after that. Last bag was removed prior to introducing the Desjardini. I note that mechanism for coal is unknown, but the fine shards may persist as HLLE has been seen AFTER coal is used, right?

I the study you stated 45% water changes were done monthly. Does that mean a little over 10% weekly? I won’t use coal anymore. I do not have a quarantine tank but I could try to take him back to the store where he could be quarantined since he is so new.

While I was typing this I just went back to a few pics I took. I tend to take shots so I can document dates, like when a fish was introduced. In this case, I can clearly see the area in question on the first picture of this Desjardini while acclimating in the bag (picture 5d ago). It looks about the same I think. How could I have missed that? Ok. So what do you advise I do at this point?

IMG_4985.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mr. Hemdal. It does look highly suspicious doesn’t it? I read your article about activated charcoal. I was unaware of that association. I have had this fellow just about 5 days now. The tank parameters are quite stable, but I realized just recently my salinity has drifted up to about 37ppt. I am working to slowly bring that back down. I have never worked with a sump before and the water changes are interesting. I am figuring out a system.

Perhaps unrelated a patch of star polyps have retracted a few days ago. Only thing I could find was a little debris and diatoms on them. A little gentle debridement with a soft bristle toothbrush and that is fixed. I turned attention to chemistries and that is how I found the salinity had drifted up. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrates all zero. Phosphates 0-1. I did use some charcoal in the first month and by advice of a LFS, a couple tablespoons (rinsed in RODI) for 3-4 days twice after that. Last bag was removed prior to introducing the Desjardini. I note that mechanism for coal is unknown, but the fine shards may persist as HLLE has been seen AFTER coal is used, right?

I the study you stated 45% water changes were done monthly. Does that mean a little over 10% weekly? I won’t use coal anymore. I do not have a quarantine tank but I could try to take him back to the store where he could be quarantined since he is so new.

While I was typing this I just went back to a few pics I took. I tend to take shots so I can document dates, like when a fish was introduced. In this case, I can clearly see the area in question on the first picture of this Desjardini while acclimating in the bag (picture 5d ago). It looks about the same I think. How could I have missed that? Ok. So what do you advise I do at this point?

IMG_4985.jpeg

Looks like the tang had the start of HLLE when you got it, so hopefully it won't get any worse, since your carbon use has been minimal and you were washing it.

This may NOT be HLLE, one confirmation of that is if the fish starts to develop a similar patch on the other side of its head - HLLE is almost always symetrical on the fish left and right. I've only seen one fish that had HLLE on just one side.

Jay

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back