Djardini Tang spot

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this on my new D’jardini Tang. Has been in my tank for only a week. The Clown Tang has been aggressive, e.g. posturing, swimming rapid circles around the Djardini and bumping into each other. The Djardini is a bit bigger and holds its ground. So this morning I noticed a little spot, which appears to be macular (not raised). He is acting great and eating very well. How can I tell minor apart from a disease that needs intervention?

IMG_5079.jpeg IMG_5071.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. That is good clinical information. So far nothing on the other side. And the realization that it was preexisting to coming home with me changed things a bit. There were other signs of trauma on the fins that are already showing signs of healing. I will watch closely and update here is any changes. Thank you for your input!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote a response, but it disappeared.

That’s very useful clinical information on assessing the wound. It does seem to have a healthy base and doesn’t look infected. It is unilateral, but I will watch for the other side. Thank you for that advice that’s very practical.

So I guess the current working diagnosis is trauma, but sustained prior to coming to this tank, which is good because I don’t have to worry about the clown tang being the culprit.

I am curious though in your study discussion what the reported 45% water change over a month is. Is this a continuous sort of cycle that’s happening in an on-going manner, or do you do 10+% weekly?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote a response, but it disappeared.

That’s very useful clinical information on assessing the wound. It does seem to have a healthy base and doesn’t look infected. It is unilateral, but I will watch for the other side. Thank you for that advice that’s very practical.

So I guess the current working diagnosis is trauma, but sustained prior to coming to this tank, which is good because I don’t have to worry about the clown tang being the culprit.

I am curious though in your study discussion what the reported 45% water change over a month is. Is this a continuous sort of cycle that’s happening in an on-going manner, or do you do 10+% weekly?
That study was a decade ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy. As I recall, those were 45% water changes all at once. In a public aquarium like ours, we need to maximize the water change benefits while minimizing the staff time, so big single changes are the norm.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thanks for that. That would be a huge change here.

Has there been any progress in the last 10 years in the understanding of HLLE? Is activated charcoal still one of the front-runners of factors associated with this disease or has anything else been implicated?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thanks for that. That would be a huge change here.

Has there been any progress in the last 10 years in the understanding of HLLE? Is activated charcoal still one of the front-runners of factors associated with this disease or has anything else been implicated?
No other studies to date, lots of speculation on the hobby side though. Carbon is the only proven cause. There is a related issue seen in some species called epithelial thinning that seems to be caused by other environmental issues such as heavy metals.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other studies to date, lots of speculation on the hobby side though. Carbon is the only proven cause. There is a related issue seen in some species called epithelial thinning that seems to be caused by other environmental issues such as heavy metals.
Jay
Appreciate the time. Oh, do protein skimmers still seem to be protective?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the time. Oh, do protein skimmers still seem to be protective?

Anything that exports particulate carbon is suspected of helping. Protein skimmers do that - if you run one on a tank that you put unwashed carbon on, the skimmate will turn gray/black. Even filter-feeding invertebrates may remove carbon dust (or at least bind it up in pseudoefeces).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NitroJoe

NitroJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay. Not much change. The Desi was constantly stressed by an aggressive clown surgeonfish I managed to capture and remove but the spot next to his eye looks the same. Any thoughts? Scarring from halted LLD? Trauma? Birth defect? =^P

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay. Not much change. The Desi was constantly stressed by an aggressive clown surgeonfish I managed to capture and remove but the spot next to his eye looks the same. Any thoughts? Scarring from halted LLD? Trauma? Birth defect? =^P
Any change in the lesion? Did anything show up on the other side of its head?
You may have halted it…
Jay

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back