DKh change guidance

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a mixed reef that is becoming more SPS dominant. I use the Red Sea products and currently following their “Mixed reef” plan which has 11.2 as the target for Alk. As I am adding more SPS I am thinking that I would like to move more towards convention levels of alk (8-9 area).

I use an APEX DOS for the alkalinity and Calcium. Using the Red Sea products as they seem to not need to dos high volumes for daily replenishements (about 24ml currently) and since using the DOS on a 24 hour schedule I find the ALK is rock solid stable regardless when I test it - always 10.6-10.7 (HANNA and Red Sea Pro tests come within .2 of each other - test both watch time).

Likely also be easier for when adding new frags as most people in SPS are using a lower range already.

If I want to make this transition - what length of time should I plan this? It seems easy to keep this happening as I can reduce by .1ml anytime. So if this process takes weeks or longer - so be it. What else should I be watching in the transition?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slower is almost always better in this hobby. If you don't mind taking the time to do it over a long period of time, I'd go that route.

OP
OP
ckalupa

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dropping like say .1-.2 dKH every couple days slope sound right? Too fast? It will have to be an “on average” but take a month or so to get to 9 from 10.7 range? Or is there another more commonly accepted speed?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back