dkh issue not sure what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there im new to this forum and appreciate any help/advise from other members.i have just started the triton method and i have a few questions im hoping you can answer. i have a reefer 350 and experienced a variety of different nuisance algae so i cooked my live rock in muriatic acid. when doing this to neutralise the acid i used baking powder recommended by my local reef shop. after a few months of rock cycling i put the rock back into my display tank. my issue is my dkh was around 20 ph around 8.4-8.5. i dosed some diluted hydrochloric acid to slowly lower the dkh to around 10. there was a strange side effect to this whole process as the dkh does not go down. the dkh has stayed around 10. calcium is very slowly going down but stays around 450. mg was low from my last icp test at 1230. my problem is if i dose the recommended amount my alk will rise(now at 8 dkh)..what should i do? i dont want to replace my rock. thanks i look forward to your replies.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not start dosing anything until you have restored some kind of balance to your system. Continue water changes until your parameters even out, obviously this relies on you using a salt mix with favourable levels, Tropic Marin Pro is closest to our set points.

Do you have any consumption at the moment? Coral stock?

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi thanks for your reply. i have around 5 relatively small sps the rest is lps and softies. i dont seem to have any consumption. the corals have and are growing well in the last 2 months.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if they are growing then they must be consuming, maintain a small dose to keep your Alk between 7-8. Correct the low levels from your ICP (Mg).

OP
OP
E

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i assume the only liquid i can change is number 2? which i think is calcium. i will revert back to water changes for 3-6 months and keep an eye on alk usage. whats the lowest dose i could use in my 350? i take it such a small dose say 5ml of each a day would not supply enough trace elements etc? thanks

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back