DKH TOO HIGH

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Di taking it out of the tap water . My alkalinity is through the roof even after ro Having to reduce Alk in the water change water with acid buffer

I agree. Tap water can have a lot of alkalinity in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what they talking bout and it said don’t use bisulphate I am not understanding what they mean

Who is the "it said" you are referring to?

I assume it was me saying "DO NOT USE BISULFITE."

Chemcial names are very precise. Bisulfite is not the same chemical as bisulfate, and should not be used.

Bisulfate (bisulphate in England english) is correct to use as directed in that thread.

OP
OP
M

mogood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean why do you think the number is not safe? If it’s going well then you don’t need to change.
Since you tried many brands. It’s time to find out why your tank has high Alk. Instead of trying to lower. if your salt mix is high then that’s the problem. But if your new salt water is lower, that means your tank is making Alk go up, and that’s usually because it’s consuming all the nitrates that would make the tank unsafe. So it’s a good thing that it’s happening, it’s protecting your tank. So maybe you want to reduce nitrates and the alk will naturally go down
When I take my water to the local store and they test it too and they tell me that it is high

Attachments

• 709A8AFE-DFF1-444F-BC87-22AFEC42AAF7.jpeg
    709A8AFE-DFF1-444F-BC87-22AFEC42AAF7.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 84

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
How many times can someone tell someone the same thing? Test you water with a different testing method. It does not matter that you just got the Hanna. Cross reference the results.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the look at that high phosphate and Alkalinity . Let’s see who else chimes in

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They gave me this
I stopped using my Hanna alk checker as it was always reading 1dkh high.

14 and your salt is 11.5 so not as high as you were thinking, I would buy a Salifert alk kit to double check your alk lvl before you start changing anything.

I don’t think you have said what alk lvl you are aiming for? I guess it’s high as you have moved from a low alk salt to a very high alk salt, you need to have a number in mind, so you know what you are aiming for.

OP
OP
M

mogood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using my Hanna alk checker as it was always reading 1dkh high.

14 and your salt is 11.5 so not as high as you were thinking, I would buy a Salifert alk kit to double check your alk lvl before you start changing anything.

I don’t think you have said what alk lvl you are aiming for? I guess it’s high as you have moved from a low alk salt to a very high alk salt, you need to have a number in mind, so you know what you are aiming for.
I am aiming for 10 dkh I what get there so I get new corals they not dying

Attachments

• 37D36E58-27A3-448A-910C-030610B2102F.jpeg
    37D36E58-27A3-448A-910C-030610B2102F.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 58

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aiming for 10 dkh I what get there so I get new corals they not dying
For what it’s worth it’s showing your checker is off 4dkh compared to the spin test.. with all that being said if you drop it to 10 on your checker you’re gonna be running a dkh of 6 in reality.. “granted that spin test is accurate” I’d trust it more than your Hannah at this point thou.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13910FAE-65D8-431E-8925-70CC725EFED1.jpeg
I use this works perfectly but tiny amount . Lower your alkalinity to what you want . I’ve just done a water change and went to 9 Alk
I use an air stone for mixing This stuff works great

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mogood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth it’s showing your checker is off 4dkh compared to the spin test.. with all that being said if you drop it to 10 on your checker you’re gonna be running a dkh of 6 in reality.. “granted that spin test is accurate” I’d trust it more than your Hannah at this point thou.
I have it checked today and send results

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this works perfectly but tiny amount . Lower your alkalinity to what you want . I’ve just done a water change and went to 9 Alk

Yes, sodium bisulfate is an acid that works to lower alk but is best done in water change water due to the very low pH that acids cause.

It is likely cheaper as a chemical from Amazon, and then you can get a purity guarantee that Seachem doesn’t provide.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sodium bisulfate is an acid that works to lower alk but is best done in water change water due to the very low pH that acids cause.

It is likely cheaper as a chemical from Amazon, and then you can get a purity guarantee that Seachem doesn’t provide.
Great to know
I have a exact measurement for water change works really good. I will check out Amazon .

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use that product as my salt is 11.5 but I run my alk at 7, I’m presently coming to the end of that salt, then will be moving to a different salt…but for the op I would not recommend he uses it, his salt is 11.5, he wants to run the tank at 10, a normal water change with 11.5 saltwater would not increase his alk much at all, so not worth the effort, especially as the ph drop is so extreme when using it, good product if used correctly and if needed tho.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use that product as my salt is 11.5 but I run my alk at 7, I’m presently coming to the end of that salt, then will be moving to a different salt…but for the op I would not recommend he uses it, his salt is 11.5, he wants to run the tank at 10, a normal water change with 11.5 saltwater would not increase his alk much at all, so not worth the effort, especially as the ph drop is so extreme when using it, good product if used correctly and if needed tho.
Yes I understand what your saying like you say if you can get a salt witch suit your requirements . Save’s messing about lowering or increasing Alk. Acid buffer is a good thing to keep handy. As Randy says food grade at Amazon could be better.

OP
OP
M

mogood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It said it is for plant’s tank
Great to know
I have an exact measurement for water change works really good. I will check out Amazon .
This it the spin test

Attachments

• 6DEE8866-E7F7-4B0E-ABA4-8ADAF2BF36ED.jpeg
    6DEE8866-E7F7-4B0E-ABA4-8ADAF2BF36ED.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 43

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back