OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting close. Reactors PH 6.1 and 100ml/min flow keeps dKH 8.0- 8.1. I need to increase the PH inside the tank because it dropped 8.1 - 8.3 to 7.7 - 8.0 PH.

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some iPad pictures with poor quality. That Ca-reactor works like a dream and the corals are happy
B8ECBD2F-3B3A-4F93-B17D-EB829E68A348.jpeg
ED96075A-2ABA-4F21-976A-6D020DA7BB14.jpeg
5FDA0043-70BE-4395-8B03-02BAB3C2B466.jpeg
73F7BB39-F26C-4FA3-B729-D873A84397F3.jpeg
393C477F-4B53-4632-AD02-E2F5307BAC2B.jpeg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures.
Do you have something to eat those starfish on the back wall?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dealt with those but many people swear with a harlequin shrimp.
It takes time, but those starfish are the shrimps diet.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Harlequin to erase Asterina, remove Harlequin and then Linkias?
LOL

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know is this combination of two reactors good or bad thing. I've been seen some articles in the internet that says it will destroy the reef and other articles says it's a good thing. What is your opinion and why?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a kalk reactor, but I do use limewater in my ATO with a Ca reactor. I've had no issues.

Not sure what problems you could have other than potentially overdosing Alk/Ca because it's coming from 2 sources. Assuming you are testing somewhat regularly that shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has something to do with the balance of the cemicals. When using only CA-reactor the balance of the cemicals are optimal. When adding limewater the balance will be disturbed. It can be avoided With the regular water changes or NaCI-free sea salt. I do my water changes once in month so I hope it will fix the balance. KH/PH are monitored via Profilux and I test Ca manually once a week or two.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...d_carbonate_in_closed_marine_aquarium_systems

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice combination equipment. I hope this will work well.
I too find that the Ca-reactor has a too big impact on pH. Curious to see what are you findings.

How do you like the KHD from GHL?

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the impact to PH has been minimal. It could be because of 1500 liters water volume and it will take some time to rise the PH too high. 5 liters of limewater per day rises PH about 0.2. Now it's between 7.8 - 8.1. More important is to get Ca up to 430-450. I haven't measured it yet. It seems to work OK

KHD and GHL has had some problems. 2.1 doser was jammed several times and I had to change new cabs to pumps. It still keeps wheezing sound time to time, but jamming is over. The KH controlling algorithm in KHD is rubbish. You can get more stabile KH with manual controlled doser. Now when I'm driving with the Ca-reactor I have't even tried the automatic mode. I was trying to ask these problems from GHL but they were answering something without answering anything. When I was trying to ask more they went to stealth mode. I got one answer about the doser problem when I made the reclamation to store where I bought these. These were my last GHL devices ever.

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limewater is unable to rise the Calcium during one week. I'm adding 5,5 liters now per day. One water change per month keeps Magnesium 1600.
FFFF6CF1-5065-45CE-872E-DD0D9268CEA4.jpeg

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For PH stability, could you attach a hose from your protein skimmer air intake to outside air or through ceiling into attic?

On my tank I maintained ph of 8.3 by routing a flexible tube from skimmer to a one inch PVC pipe that was about 2 feet long through an adjacent window. Have a section of filter pads and carbon in the pvc pipe for air contaminants.

OP
OP
Dnoob

Dnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I thought that also but It's not possible. I don't want to drill a hole to window frame. I have ATI Co2 scrubber attached to skimmer intake. Biggest reason for low PH is a Ca-reactor. It has 6.1 PH inside and feeding pump pumps 78 ml/min low PH water to sump. Before I started to use it I had 8.2-8.3 with the Co2 scrubber.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason the impact to PH has been minimal. It could be because of 1500 liters water volume and it will take some time to rise the PH too high. 5 liters of limewater per day rises PH about 0.2. Now it's between 7.8 - 8.1. More important is to get Ca up to 430-450. I haven't measured it yet. It seems to work OK

KHD and GHL has had some problems. 2.1 doser was jammed several times and I had to change new cabs to pumps. It still keeps wheezing sound time to time, but jamming is over. The KH controlling algorithm in KHD is rubbish. You can get more stabile KH with manual controlled doser. Now when I'm driving with the Ca-reactor I have't even tried the automatic mode. I was trying to ask these problems from GHL but they were answering something without answering anything. When I was trying to ask more they went to stealth mode. I got one answer about the doser problem when I made the reclamation to store where I bought these. These were my last GHL devices ever.

I have always had good experiences with GHL and their service.
I hope this works out for you.

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice combination equipment. I hope this will work well.
I too find that the Ca-reactor has a too big impact on pH. Curious to see what are you findings.

How do you like the KHD from GHL?

I have a KHD on my 180. I had some issues at the beginning but they appear to be resolved and has been successfully running for about 30 days now. I have a second GHL doser doing my Core7 4 part. I am not allowing the KHD control the dosing of the 4 part even though it can. You use dosing pumps to feed the KHD and if those pumps act up, then the KHD can also act up.

My build will be posted soon...I am waiting for some animals. My first shipment comes next week. I will post how the KHD does with some life in the tank. If you have more questions, let me know.

Scott

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back