Do aiptasia wander around like other anemones?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running well for 2 years now. Today I swapped out the lights on the tank for some Noopsyche K7 Pro III's. About an hour after that a rather large (4" diameter) aiptasia suddenly showed up on the side of one of the base rocks. I've checked that tank daily for two years and would have sworn there weren't any in there. The only thing I can guess at is that it was hiding somewhere and moved. Any thoughts?

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue. But I’d act fast. Even if they don’t walk, they do spread. Have you added anything new recently?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will move around if they think their spot is suboptimal (too crowded, too dark, not enough food, recently disturbed, whatever).

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue. But I’d act fast. Even if they don’t walk, they do spread. Have you added anything new recently?

Not in quite a while. I added a small sps (turbinaria) a couple of months ago but it was dipped first and no sign of them on it. I suspect it came with the live rock and just stayed somewhere out of sight and moved when it found it's old place uncomfortable. Now I have to figure out how to get a 4" aiptasia off a base rock that everything else is on top of.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in quite a while. I added a small sps (turbinaria) a couple of months ago but it was dipped first and no sign of them on it. I suspect it came with the live rock and just stayed somewhere out of sight and moved when it found it's old place uncomfortable. Now I have to figure out how to get a 4" aiptasia off a base rock that everything else is on top of.
if you know any diabetics, or have access to needles, injecting them with lemon juice or boiling hot water does the trick.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back