Do Algae Reactors Work, And Worth It?

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 2 LED lights from Banggood on my DIY ATS , 30 watt version

https://www.banggood.com/20W-30W-50....html?rmmds=myorder&ID=48797&cur_warehouse=CN

Cheap chinese lights, probably over rated at 30 watts and the ground wire is not connected inside. Make sure to ground the light fixture before using.

It has been running for 1 week now so a bit early to tell. Just starting to get growth. Running lights for 2 hours then 15 min off and on again for 2 hours for a total of 8 hours on per day.

IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It may be a tad pricey but in time you will not need a skimmer as this will take care of nutrient export in whole

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of picking up all new equipment for a 180. I have a Trigger Systems 39 sump, but don't want loose chaeto if I use any at all. I was looking on BRS at their bigger Skimz Algae Reactor, which has a quartz sleeve placed off center to one side and it's an upflow, but the water exits through the bottom internally, almost like the inner workings of a regular reactor switched around. The problem is it's $329!!! Seems a bit much, but it also has tinted plastic.

Then there's the cheaper Marine Depot one which is an AquaMaxx reactor that you wrap LED's around with zip ties.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm not interested in a turf scrubber because it's more weekly maintenance. The Skimz is 8 x 8 x 20 inches tall. The Aquamaxx is much smaller.

The reviews seem positive except for an o-ring on the Skimz model that's a problem.

Just wanted to see if anyone is using these and how good they work.

Used the bigger skimz for 6 months, but it was outcompeted/redundant due to a 75 gallon refugium. If you are interested PM for a cash or trade offer, I’m looking to Unload it :)

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the algae reactor I made out of an aquamax I wrapped a red and blue Led strip around the outside of the reactor then covered that with black Vinyl. It's pretty small so it fills up quick, I put in around 1 inch of chaeto at the bottom and it will be completely full in a week. I turn it on whenever my tank lights are off so about 14 hours a night.
What kind of black film did u get and where.? The film I used is terrible and doesn’t fit well at all.
This reactor is enough to give my 120 gallon system stable no3 and po4. I no longer need to dose carbon or run GFO. Obviously mileage may vary.
2GfF666.jpg

Inside
nFrM3aM.jpg

One week's growth
WMg11d6.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using 2 LED lights from Banggood on my DIY ATS , 30 watt version

https://www.banggood.com/20W-30W-50....html?rmmds=myorder&ID=48797&cur_warehouse=CN

Cheap chinese lights, probably over rated at 30 watts and the ground wire is not connected inside. Make sure to ground the light fixture before using.

It has been running for 1 week now so a bit early to tell. Just starting to get growth. Running lights for 2 hours then 15 min off and on again for 2 hours for a total of 8 hours on per day.

IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg
great job on scrubber

Wetfoot72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...wondering if those PVC sleeves are the way to go wrt heat and prevent the crazing of the reactors...

A PVC sleeve works best because you don't have to attach the lights to the reactor

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been answered but what do you do with the algea when you harvest it out of the reactor? I dont have room for a refugium/sump right now so was thinking about one of these reactor setups.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been answered but what do you do with the algea when you harvest it out of the reactor? I dont have room for a refugium/sump right now so was thinking about one of these reactor setups.
I grow Ulva intestinalis many fish like to eat it so I put some in a Gourmet grazer. GHA will also be consumed by some fish. I have given Ulva to other hobbyist to seed their ATS.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow Ulva intestinalis many fish like to eat it so I put some in a Gourmet grazer. GHA will also be consumed by some fish. I have given Ulva to other hobbyist to seed their ATS.

So other than that do you just sort of empty it out and then let it fill up again? Probably a silly question but I've never looked into these before.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So other than that do you just sort of empty it out and then let it fill up again? Probably a silly question but I've never looked into these before.
What I do is give it a haircut so to speak. I don't remove it all but cut it back to about 2" in length with the ulva. I have an how to on a facebook group call Algae turf scrubbers CI for more information on seeding and cultivating a waterfall ATS which might be of interest to you.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I toss the stuff I remove and allow scrubber to continue its' process

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it would be useful to use one but I'm not sure where i would actually be able to put it now. Our sump is pretty full with the skimmer and media reactor and I don't see how putting it in our separate 10g tank that is the top off tank would actually help....

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a chaeto reactor with a TLF reactor (the smaller one) a few weeks ago and it has been great so far. I am able to empty it weekly.
There are some more details and pics pics on my build thread here

20190211_155725.jpg

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it would be useful to use one but I'm not sure where i would actually be able to put it now. Our sump is pretty full with the skimmer and media reactor and I don't see how putting it in our separate 10g tank that is the top off tank would actually help....

Stick the reactor wherever you want. It could be next to the sump, ect.... Then you just stick a small mj pump in the sump and run tubes to and from the reactor. Is doesn't have to be in water. Though I would suggest having the vinyl return tube going into a filter sock of some sort in case any algae makes it through.

The only ones that need to be in water are the ones with the pump built on to the reactor, like the Skimz model for example.

Back