Do All Skimmers Work The Same?

Aaron Whitaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning a build for a 40 gallon cube and a 20-26 gallon sump. For a skimmer, I’m thinking about going with a ReefOctupus Classic 150 but I am open to other suggestions. The question I have though is do all skimmers operate the same way? Is the difference between them a quality difference?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few types, but the needle wheel the RO Classic has is probably the most common. RO makes a good product. The biggest difference is usually in the pump and thickness of the material used

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The underlying principle of all skimmers is the same (proteins attracted to air/water interface). Implementations vary in terms of height/contact time, how the bubbles are produced and whether flow through or recirculating. At the tank size low end, a standard needle wheel model will suffice.

Last edited:

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most modern skimmers use a needle wheel impeller, they vary based on pump, body size and shape. Old school skimmers can use downdraft, venturi and needle wheel. I've used cone shape with needle wheel, intake venturi ( where the air is sucked into the intake but not needle wheel), the original reef octopus 160( needle wheel but standard tube shape) and back to the life reef 24 venturi. I personally think the life reef is the best I've used yet.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers work the same way. Air gets sucked in pre pump (Venturi) and a needle wheel chops up the air before it enters the skimmer body. This makes for lotsa small bubbles which produce good skimate

IMO there are better skimmers for variious reasons but reef octopus is the best bang for buck out there.

Think the classic 150 is too big for your tank and would recommend the 110 if you plan to be moderate to heavily stocked. A little too big a skimmer is ok, a lot too big and it doesn’t collect much. Slightly undersized and it is more steady and easier to keep dialed in. Think the 110 is a lil oversized for your tank, depending on your bio load

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the over size thing. I'm using a skimmer rated for way more than I have, I just adjust the water height to the skimate I want.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ not about the level or output rate. It’s about proteins must bind together to float to surface to be collected. And if the skimmer is too big...

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this isn't a ticking match. It most certainly is about contact time which you control with input versus output. You can take a really tall skimmer with an air stone and get the same results you would get from a shorter skimmer with a needle wheel impeller. If the skimmer you have is too big you can adjust the water column to make it work. Why do you think recirculating skimmers were invented? It was to increase contact time without adjusting input but still saving space.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 110 is too small if he ever goes heavy biolode manufacturers always over state their performance.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a whatever match. Simply trying to share my experience with a fellow reefer who’s looking for advice. Too big a skimmer and you don’t collect more. Go way too big and you won’t collect much if any, and certainly not consistently. Have tried the bigger is better over and over. When it comes to skimmers or return pumps more or bigger is not better

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is rated for 250 gallons and it's on a 40 breeder with a 40 breeder sump. I cleaned it earlier this evening and I have a light biolode. Here is a picture from right now.
be037329e43b4bb9c4c5b5af72b28e62.jpg
25a1bdc1bb5ebcd8b140b4677e8b2a18.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 110 is too small if he ever goes heavy biolode manufacturers always over state their performance.
I don’t know what the manufacturer says, and i’d Sooner take BRS recommendations for their size recommendations for the 110. I have experience with that skimmer and the 150. The 110 i’d say is slightly oversized for a 40g that is heavily stocked. Lightly stocked and it’s not a good match

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a whatever match. Simply trying to share my experience with a fellow reefer who’s looking for advice. Too big a skimmer and you don’t collect more. Go way too big and you won’t collect much if any, and certainly not consistently. Have tried the bigger is better over and over. When it comes to skimmers or return pumps more or bigger is not better
Then maybe next time allow others to offer their experiences without being condescending.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be condescending, Sorry if I came across or you took it that way.
And fwiw your skimmate looks too wet. Meaning your water level is too hi. Which is also the biggest plus to a recirculating skimmer. So you don’t have to worry much about sump water level, because pump controls that for you.
A skimmer that is too big doesn’t work better. It just makes more noise and heat, costs more and is less steady. Don’t take it personally

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it wet on purpose. Here is a picture from when I ran it dry. Thankfully I can control the input and output to get dry or wet skimmate.
18411eb1b8f478442926234f108de87a.jpg
ebe9c86bbf388a106b8d50a4c13e3fe9.jpg

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember this is a 40 with a light biolode if my skimmer was too big according to consensus it wouldn't pull anything at all either wet it dry.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back