Do filter socks get bigger over time?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I need to worry about my filter socks getting bigger over time? It’s important to me that my 5 micron socks don’t get over 20 microns. I reuse them and change them out daily...just water in the washing machine.

I saw this post and I’m confused by it.

100 micron socks work well, buy them once and wash them in the washing machine with bleach. Over time though the micron rating will decrease.

This person is saying it gets SMALLER over time????

So which one is it?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I need to worry about my filter socks getting bigger over time? It’s important to me that my 5 micron socks don’t get over 20 microns. I reuse them and change them out daily...just water in the washing machine.

I saw this post and I’m confused by it.

This person is saying it gets SMALLER over time????

So which one is it?
They get clogged over time, but they are still fine.

That post is technically correct, but its not a big deal that they may not be 100% cleanable after two washes. I'm good with 98-99% clean. If they go thru washing machine, I use a bit of bleach first cycle thru so maybe that breaks down anything that had dried and gunky solid for while before washing.

You clean them, but they still aren't like they were brand new. I've got multiple socks I rotate thru, and I wash them outside cleaning station (refer post pics in my build thread) or in washing machine (rarely). Like human socks, I plan on washing and reusing mine until holes are worn thru or otherwise not usable, then trash them.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get clogged over time, but they are still fine.

That post is technically correct, but its not a big deal that they may not be 100% cleanable after two washes. I'm good with 98-99% clean. If they go thru washing machine, I use a bit of bleach first cycle thru so maybe that breaks down anything that had dried and gunky solid for while before washing.

You clean them, but they still aren't like they were brand new. I've got multiple socks I rotate thru, and I wash them outside cleaning station (refer post pics in my build thread) or in washing machine (rarely). Like human socks, I plan on washing and reusing mine until holes are worn thru or otherwise not usable, then trash them.
So it gets finer because of the dirt?

Im ok if it’s finer. It’s too loose that worries me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back