Do I have velvet or what?

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're receiving a lot of conflicting advice here. Some of it is sending you off in the wrong directions. I'm certainly not an expert and have definitely had my share of fish losses over the years. But Jay Hemdal is an expert and I would be following his advice rather than chasing other leads.

This is definitely not HLLE both because it doesn't look like it and the pattern of losses is not consistent with HLLE. It also isn't likely to be stray voltage. Again, the pattern of how you lost your fish and the way the fish looked isn't consistent with that.

The fish being half-eaten may have occurred AFTER it died. Probably some inverts or clean up crew eating it. Also, that "goby" you had doesn't look like a goby. It looked more like an eel of some sort.

If this is velvet, you need to make sure every single fish is out. Same thing if this were ich. Corals, inverts, and live rock can stay in the main tank. That's what people mean by keeping the tank fallow. If you do this for long enough, the parasites will die out on their own as they can only continue living if there's a fish in the tank. Meanwhile, you place the removed fish in a QT/hospital tank and treat with copper or chloroquine phosphate. Copper obviously is much easier to come by these days.

If it's bacterial or fungal, you may need to treat. That's easy enough to do in the QT, but I'm not sure about the main tank. I'll defer to the experts on that, but I think you'll probably have to do some water changes as well to improve water quality.

Again, I'm not going to try to diagnose this since you've already gotten so many answers and have an expert involved. But this is not HLLE or stray voltage.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to post a picture of how everything looks today, not older photos, otherwise it's hard to help
Today is a mess, there’s not fishes no longer in, only 2 anemonies, 1 small starfish, couple snails maybe 4 or 5, I’m planning to replace all water in the tank today and change my sump, I’m going back to my bio-balls filter which give me better results and had my tank trouble free, I may give this water about 3 treatments in case anything bacterial or fungus reminds there from old tank plus im planning to rinse all rocks with fresh water, basically “I’m starting again” it is easy when you know what u are dealing with, i’m mot sure if is ick, velvet, fungus, bacteria, my fish size never before was an issue, sleeves was change weekly even when i wasn’t changing my water as often
Are your recent cardinal and goby additions still alive? Sounds like one or perhaps both of them introduced pathogens into your tank. I suspect velvet and flukes, and then a secondary bacterial infection set in. Going fallow at this point is recommended, as others have said you don’t have to remove rock, corals, inverts or sand. Just keep up with water changes, and keep the sand bed and rocks clean during the fallow period to avoid any hypoxic areas.

I’m sorry for your losses :(
sorry to ask some of the language use here i still learning, when u say going follow as recommended, what exactly u are reffering to? And how do i know i don’t have more issues on the tank? I’m planning to leave my tank running for 75 days which i still have to feed my anemones

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a mess, there’s not fishes no longer in, only 2 anemonies, 1 small starfish, couple snails maybe 4 or 5, I’m planning to replace all water in the tank today and change my sump, I’m going back to my bio-balls filter which give me better results and had my tank trouble free, I may give this water about 3 treatments in case anything bacterial or fungus reminds there from old tank plus im planning to rinse all rocks with fresh water, basically “I’m starting again” it is easy when you know what u are dealing with, i’m mot sure if is ick, velvet, fungus, bacteria, my fish size never before was an issue, sleeves was change weekly even when i wasn’t changing my water as often

sorry to ask some of the language use here i still learning, when u say going follow as recommended, what exactly u are reffering to? And how do i know i don’t have more issues on the tank? I’m planning to leave my tank running for 75 days which i still have to feed my anemones

Fallow means no fish in it. There's a ton of information on this website about how to do it, how to treat, etc. You can also go to Humblefish's website (humble.fish) and it will give all the info necessary. Lots of people have lost all their fish so you can see what they did to rebuild afterwards. You might as well go fallow and QT everything going forward to prevent anything like this from happening again. And you would want to make sure that when you bring in corals, fish, invertebrates, etc. in the future that you QT everything (instead of just adding them to the tank) as all of them can bring an infection in.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're receiving a lot of conflicting advice here. Some of it is sending you off in the wrong directions. I'm certainly not an expert and have definitely had my share of fish losses over the years. But Jay Hemdal is an expert and I would be following his advice rather than chasing other leads.

This is definitely not HLLE both because it doesn't look like it and the pattern of losses is not consistent with HLLE. It also isn't likely to be stray voltage. Again, the pattern of how you lost your fish and the way the fish looked isn't consistent with that.

The fish being half-eaten may have occurred AFTER it died. Probably some inverts or clean up crew eating it. Also, that "goby" you had doesn't look like a goby. It looked more like an eel of some sort.

If this is velvet, you need to make sure every single fish is out. Same thing if this were ich. Corals, inverts, and live rock can stay in the main tank. That's what people mean by keeping the tank fallow. If you do this for long enough, the parasites will die out on their own as they can only continue living if there's a fish in the tank. Meanwhile, you place the removed fish in a QT/hospital tank and treat with copper or chloroquine phosphate. Copper obviously is much easier to come by these days.

If it's bacterial or fungal, you may need to treat. That's easy enough to do in the QT, but I'm not sure about the main tank. I'll defer to the experts on that, but I think you'll probably have to do some water changes as well to improve water quality.

Again, I'm not going to try to diagnose this since you've already gotten so many answers and have an expert involved. But this is not HLLE or stray voltage.
Thank you for ur post i definitely will move the rock today to clean under the rock wall and do a water change, i like Jay advised too and i’m learning as well from other reefers, i love the support i have received from each one, as i look into the pictures and the foxface this morning i saw the white spots which resemble a lot to Ick or Velvet... i have some mefication i bought while i was yrying to safe the last of mu fishes but unfortunately it was gone to far for it... i will go back to it again and replace all my fishes in do time for now i have to concentrate on whats left at the tank, anemones, snails , starfish and corals.

Last edited:

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn't matter if it's a mess, it's easier for lots of us to help if we see the tank

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow means no fish in it. There's a ton of information on this website about how to do it, how to treat, etc. You can also go to Humblefish's website (humble.fish) and it will give all the info necessary. Lots of people have lost all their fish so you can see what they did to rebuild afterwards. You might as well go fallow and QT everything going forward to prevent anything like this from happening again. And you would want to make sure that when you bring in corals, fish, invertebrates, etc. in the future that you QT everything (instead of just adding them to the tank) as all of them can bring an infection in.
Definitely i’m putting together a good QT i lost a lot of $$$$ time and the pain felt loosing this guys, the pj was looking fine, just dissapear not sure if the anemone had a good dinner, loll i saw it for 2 days the other fish was an engineer goby, and it last me fine until few days ago i had him on my tank for 2 months was looking fine until.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter if it's a mess, it's easier for lots of us to help if we see the tank
Will put a pic when i get home but still looking the same as the first pictures i put few days ago on this thread showing very proudly my tank , lolll i have to laugh now as is sound ironic that my thread had to turn a different direction of advised because of....

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking to set up a quick and easy QT setup, you can either go with a cheap 20 gallon long tank (available at Petco for $20 during those $1 a gallon sales) or even some clear plastic tubs. I've used TTM (tank transfer method) to manage velvet and ich. I just go between 2 identical setups which are a 10 gallon plastic tub, a cheap heater, an air pump with an airstone, and a few pieces of PVC piping. Just make sure to disinfect the tubs and all equipment between transfers.

The advantage of TTM is that you don't have to use harsh chemicals or meds to treat the fish, though it does require some time and effort.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking to set up a quick and easy QT setup, you can either go with a cheap 20 gallon long tank (available at Petco for $20 during those $1 a gallon sales) or even some clear plastic tubs. I've used TTM (tank transfer method) to manage velvet and ich. I just go between 2 identical setups which are a 10 gallon plastic tub, a cheap heater, an air pump with an airstone, and a few pieces of PVC piping. Just make sure to disinfect the tubs and all equipment between transfers.

The advantage of TTM is that you don't have to use harsh chemicals or meds to treat the fish, though it does require some time and effort.
Thats what i was planning to do, something economical to start

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will put a pic when i get home but still looking the same as the first pictures i put few days ago on this thread showing very proudly my tank , lolll i have to laugh now as is sound ironic that my thread had to turn a different direction of advised because of....
Ok here’s the pics today:

1F3FBFCE-823B-4B3E-AE24-39671C547A32.jpeg C5636105-B597-45BA-A335-F730E1CA5473.jpeg 46905A5A-A1EF-4775-A34D-E14F3C7FE323.jpeg 8FF95114-4D0A-4919-9E5A-7F8525E8D932.jpeg 953A6547-2513-4283-9661-4DDF86452892.jpeg
By the way can some one tells me what is this? It maybe apstasia starting to grow? Some of my rocks have it, looks like little plants that resemble apstasia but not 100 percent sure, also i notice something like roots on my glass where some of the rocks touching the glass, if i can identify this I will known for sure what happen and suspect... In the first picture under this part of the posting observe careful what it looks like sponges to me , are this right?

42D2F35D-09AD-4428-8A60-5F1F4FA8B61F.jpeg
D91F6187-7F8E-415B-8734-6447EA6DB909.jpeg 7F490FC3-7042-4691-A870-259DB4DCDBC2.jpeg 2700D7D1-F7B6-412D-B15D-66F17353AE70.jpeg 3D952FF7-AD18-4E0D-9461-DAF0A7064D30.jpeg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back