Do I need a backup light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaymondL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RaymondL

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2022
Messages
989
Reaction score
354
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a back up light in case the light that I have goes out - in that regard, I"m wondering if it's good insurance to have an extra light fixture as a standby? Is that a crazy idea?
 
Tanks can go a couple days with just ambient light, while you ordered a new light.
Or... if you find a nice backup, similar light for a great price used, then maybe it's worth having one?
Idk, I think I would just use the broken light as an excuse to upgrade lol, and having a mediocre backup light waiting kind of defeats that purpose.
 
I very rarely have power failures so I don't feel I need one. But I would really hate to spend so much money just to let it sit in a closet "just in case".
 
Tanks can go a couple days with just ambient light, while you ordered a new light.
Or... if you find a nice backup, similar light for a great price used, then maybe it's worth having one?
Idk, I think I would just use the broken light as an excuse to upgrade lol, and having a mediocre backup light waiting kind of defeats that purpose.
I agree with this post in regards to tanks not needing a light immediately as there are stormy days/weeks on reefs where there is minimal light for the corals.
In my opinion it would be far more beneficial to have a backup heater, powerhead, and return pump over a light.
If money is no issue then yes absolutely a backup light would be highly helpful in case one day yours goes out on you and it would take you a few days to get a new one in however those would be my top three to have on standby incase something went out.
 
No I would not buy one for spare. Now a day technology changes. Things get dated
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new