Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Striike, Mar 5, 2010.

Do I Need Floor Supporting?!?

One of the questions that is inevitably asked in every aquarium chat room, newsgroup and bulletin board is "just how large an aquarium can my...
  1. eenoo

eenoo Active Member

Sorry that it double posted. So I did a bit of digging. My floor is 8in reinforced concrete. Would that hold? From my research ive basically concluded that structural engineering makes no sense.

2. kalare

kalare Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

if you have an 8" reinforced concrete floor, and knowing that some guy put a car on his floor, I wouldn't worry very much :)

3. s2nhle

s2nhle Well-Known Member

+1. I have the same thought.

4. kevensquint

kevensquint Well-Known Member

I built a stand for a 160 using these plans. I followed the instructions exactly. The stand looked great. But, it sagged in the middle just enough to be noticeable. Had to empty the tank and reinforce the stand. The stand would not have collapsed, but as I mentioned in a previous post. Tanks don't like to sag. So the stand must not.

5. PAXpress

PAXpress Well-Known Member

I work with structural engineers (I do IT so I dont know jack about construction) and we calculated my 175g before I ordered it.

6. jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr Member

I'm in the process of building a house and know where the tank will go. I'm planning on a 6' tank but not sure on total volume. My only concern is that it's in the middle of an open floor plan parallel to the floor joists. My contractor said he can tie the joists together and it will be sitting on a triple laminate beam. Does this seem reasonable or should I drop back and punt? It's easier to add support now than later on once everything is closed up.

7. kalare

Unfortunately this is impossible to answer without knowing joist size, span & spacing, and proposed beam size and grade. Since this is a new home, I am assuming you have had a structural engineer design your home. I would strongly suggest getting that engineer to design for your largest possible tank size, and reinforce the floor (or confirm that it will work). Note that even if the floor is potentially STRONG enough, it may have a very large deflection, and you may notice a dip in the floor that can un-level your tank and create a noticeably sloped floor. A structural engineer should be able to account for this and provide the proper size joists/beams to support the tank.

Another note. There are many many great contractors. I would never trust one to make structural decisions in any structure, no matter if they've have 40 years of experience. Granted, I am biased as a structural engineer, however I've seen way too many improperly modified buildings where a contractor, with good intentions, made bad advice and created unstable and/or dangerous conditions. Please get your floor checked by a licensed engineer.

Good Luck!

8. Debacle

Debacle Member

Hopefully the experts are still following this thread, and if so can i get their opinion as to my tank placement. I am including a rough drawing of the floor. Solid dark blue is a metal beam. Light blue are floor joists. Red box is possible aquarium locations. not to scale and not actual floor joist locations. Just shown for directional placement only.

Tank will be a 150g Glass Cages aquarium with measurements of 48"x24" Home was built in 2003. Floor joists are 16" on center and constructed of 2x10 beams resting on top of metal beam. Location 1 is against an outside wall. Location 2 is against an outside living area wall. Other side of the wall is the garage. I am assuming that is a load bearing wall. Full basement underneath both locations. Was planning on putting up two https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tiger-Brand-Super-S-Series-8-ft-4-in-Jack-Post-J-S-100/100022783 underneath the floor joists to help support the weight with a 2x6 or 8 header between them. Plumbing/Filtration room will be below the aquarium.

I know position 1 will be ideal as it spans more joists, but not sure if I can make it work with the room being long and narrow. Position 2 is fall back placement. So will my floor support? floor.jpg

9. Debacle

Debacle Member

**Note.
    Not entirely certain if the final positioning of placement #2 will actually go across the metal beam.

10. kalare

What's the distance from outer wall (wall where position 1 is against) to the steel beam? If position 2 is not over the steel beam, how close is the southern (assuming the drawings is with the top to the north) edge of the tank to the steel beam, and is the tank situated more south or more north of the beam?

JoshuaRock likes this.
  11. Debacle

Debacle Member

Update to the drawing above. Please overlook my awesome drawing skills. I try not to show up the professionals but it is just so hard sometimes. Where I added the green box is actually a partition wall separating the living and kitchen areas. This wall is non structural. From Northern edge of the house to the wall is 129". Tank position 2 would be centered from partition wall to exterior northern wall. Hence 40.5, 48, 40.5.

What's the distance from outer wall (wall where position 1 is against) to the steel beam? From northern end of the wall to the steel beam is 9'8". Assuming I put the tank 8" from the wall, and the tank is 24" wide, there will be aproximately 84", or 7', from the southern end of the tank to the steel beam.

If position 2 is not over the steel beam, how close is the southern (assuming the drawings is with the top to the north) edge of the tank to the steel beam?. 27" from the Southern end of position 2 to the steel beam. 40.5" from the Northern end to the corner of the exterior wall.

and is the tank situated more south or more north of the beam? Tank would not be situated over the beam as stated above.

floor.jpg

12. kalare

You have relatively small spans and relatively deep joists (normal size for newly constructed homes, but older homes have MUCH smaller stuff). You joists are at 16" O.C. so I see no issue with placing the tank in either orientation.

Note that in option 2, while walking around in the other room (below the green wall) or in the area around the tank, your tank might slightly bounce and you may notice water movement (it shouldn't be much at all) at the top rim.

13. Fritzhamer

Fritzhamer Well-Known Member

This is really great info.

14. Debacle

Debacle Member

Thanks. Would you recommend placing floor jack w/ header under the locations?

Draft saved Draft deleted