Do I need more light?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 40 gallon tank (28*20*20) lit by a single AM Qube 50, mounted about 9'' above the tank. I'm wondering if my single 50 watt LED fixture is enough for my tank?

Reason I ask, because I have never had any significant growth. Most of my corals are just large frags, even though my parameters are usually stable and nutrients are present. I gave away my sps recently, so all I've got now is lps and some soft corals. Coloration overall is alright, polyp extension is great, yet growth is almost non existant. My sps were mostly brown, although they did grow very, very slowly.

It seems like most people actually use/recommend a lot more light for my tank size. I've seen people recommend the Kessil A360WE, which is almost twice the amount of watts my current fixture has. I do run mine at 100% blues, 20% whites for ~ 6 hours a day, 50% blues and 5% whites for another 4 hours and 20% blues with 0% whites for the first and last hour of the cycle.

Of course I'm not expecting tons of new heads every week. However, occasionally I read about a single head frag that has grown multiple heads in a years' time. My 1.5 year old octospawn so far has only grown 1 new head. One of my Blastomussa grew 2 new heads about a month after I got it last year. Haven't grown at all ever since.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what causes explosive growth isn’t light or nutrient related. IME, it’s how the tank is maintained that really causes it. For this reason, it’s important to know things like your water change schedule, if you’ve changed light settings, moved circulation pumps, etc. Things like this make a big difference.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20201221_173159.jpg
    20201221_173159.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201221_173205.jpg
    20201221_173205.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 51

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the light looks good. In my opinion I think coral are really happy with Blue light although there is a huge debate out there. I use about 80% blue and 15%-20% white. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what causes explosive growth isn’t light or nutrient related. IME, it’s how the tank is maintained that really causes it. For this reason, it’s important to know things like your water change schedule, if you’ve changed light settings, moved circulation pumps, etc. Things like this make a big difference.
I understand. However, I haven't changed my lighting in over a year. The last time I altered my flow was a month or 2 back, haven't touched them for months before that.

I quit doing water changes a while ago, after I noticed my lps didn't appreciate it at all. They'd be annoyed for a few days and it would actually take a few weeks before they fully opened again, at which point the next water change was scheduled. I dose ATI Essentials daily, run activated carbon regularly, use a skimmer and refugium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the light looks good. In my opinion I think coral are really happy with Blue light although there is a huge debate out there. I use about 80% blue and 15%-20% white. Just my 2 cents
Oh alright. I honestly can't imagine needing more light than I currently have, to me it already seems extremely bright during the afternoon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back