Do I need to remove all fish from my reef tank if I have ICK?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any support that this is possible?
If you’re asking if I’m a biologist who has studied then no but I have velvet return after I stirred up the sand a few months after fallow.

This a non-scientific article but in one of the paragraphs they talk about the effects of a tsunami stirring up sand

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re asking if I’m a biologist who has studied then no but I have velvet return after I stirred up the sand a few months after fallow.

This a non-scientific article but in one of the paragraphs they talk about the effects of a tsunami stirring up sand

That's interesting but that would mean there was different kind of ich parasites or drug resistant ich parasites. I've never seen this discussed before.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A quick search on here shows many people have issues after fallow period. Yea some might not have been completed correctly but there’s a lot.
We personally had this fail 3x until the sand was tossed and replaced and in doing so restarted the tank with new sand and old rock/corals and ran tank 81 degrees for the entire period the fish were in a qt

OP
OP
R

reefcat07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick search on here shows many people have issues after fallow period. Yea some might not have been completed correctly but there’s a lot.
We personally had this fail 3x until the sand was tossed and replaced and in doing so restarted the tank with new sand and old rock/corals and ran tank 81 degrees for the entire period the fish were in a qt
issue is I have about 250 lbs of sand. Its a mission to remove and =toss all the sand. I have totake everything apart.

What a foolish mistake I have made

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcat I think your follow up study and willingness to try and correct the situation is admirable

exactly like the majority advice here matches the fish disease forum on remediation actions vs taking on the minority advice to skip disease preps which rules nearly all posts like this outside the disease forum- nice teamwork here.

the majority advice here matches what Jay advises daily as people post help threads to him constantly

advocates of no qt no fallow never fix tanks repeatedly they always mention solely their own tank and + carefully stated outcomes. (it’s easy to omit bad facts in self reports)

Working with others reefs to build recommendation examples produces entirely different recommends we can see in the fish disease forum

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! Its a good thing I run a cryptocaryon managed tank with a uv and good feeding and as little stress as possible. If I had to go through almost 3 months of quarantining and fallow with no guarantee of it being successful, I think I would probably not continue in this hobby. I think some of the advice given, though in good spirit, might be a little on the overwhelming side for a new person in the hobby. Jmho.
That's the problem in this hobby. Qurantine isn't promoted enough especially to newbies. This problem always happens.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's the problem in this hobby. Qurantine isn't promoted enough especially to newbies. This problem always happens.

The very first tank we set up years ago ran fine with no quarantine because we didn’t know it was possible or anything about marine parasites UNTIL we added that one fish.

250lbs of sand is a lot. I only replaced 120. This is all your preference but I’m only speaking from my experience. You could rinse the sand and attempt to dry or just let soak in FW with a heater stirring occasionally.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very first tank we set up years ago ran fine with no quarantine because we didn’t know it was possible or anything about marine parasites UNTIL we added that one fish.

250lbs of sand is a lot. I only replaced 120. This is all your preference but I’m only speaking from my experience. You could rinse the sand and attempt to dry or just let soak in FW with a heater stirring occasionally.
I dont believe humblefish ever mentioned replacing sand.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90 days is for the majority of ick and velvet strains,Life cycle. Thats how long it takes to starve out the parasite...I wouldn't bother taking everything out of your tank. The warmer water is to speed up the life cycle of the parasites..Thats up to you...The hard part is keeping ammonia down while treating your fish in copper, for the recommended amount of time.Then keeping ammonia down for the rest of FALLOW period...I belive most fish in QT die from Ammonia and not the copper treatment, if done correctly.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding sand replace

I believe if we dig into the threads about failed fallow its listed where the tomonts can house within organics/the sand being the largest store of them in a reef tank/so by extension folks were removing sand or rip cleaning/removing those insulative stores in order to promote more thorough waiting periods

the source for the info is whichever the official failed fallow reasons thread was, I saw it a year ago its in the disease fm somewhere

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even own marine fish, haven't in 20 years lol. this makes people angry when I give fish disease opinions/doesn't practice what's preached/ but its really just a relay of patterns I see from cycling so many tanks. we find those that don't enact preps or enact them too loosely are posting back in chat to me 6-8 mos later about why their fish are dying, so I like to read trending in the disease forum to relay to them.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad outbreak while tearing down tanks and getting a new system up and running during the changeover. IMO your going to lose some fish no matter how you approach it. During that time I had no choice but to let it take its course. I think I ended up losing 2 fish but managed to save over a dozen who had it just using selcon daily and running an extra uv setup. There were 3 life cycles of the parasite before it finally died out. Each one was less damaging than the last. Each time my fish fought it off. The only thing I can attribute it to was the method I used. Is it the answer. I doubt it but now I always add supplements a couple of times a week to boost their immune systems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back