Do I really need this - heating?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying I don't really need two heaters? If so I could get this: since it has the added advantage of wifi.

I hadn't seen this before. It's got some great features. I really like the dual probes and notifications. I still like the idea of having 2 heaters though. I work some long hours, and I guess I'm an oddball because I keep the room temp fairly cool in the winter. Having redundant heaters gives me peace of mind that I may have time to correct a heater failure before the tank gets too cool. If they make one of these that will control 2 heaters, I'll have to seriously consider it.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recommended replacement time for a heater is 1 year. the controller can plug in 2 heaters and control them both at the same time. I often travel for the weekend and if the heater fails then RIP all the investment. redundancy is good or you are rolling an expensive dice. of course it's relevant of how expansive your stock is. using a backup heater to save $400 black widow is well worth it imho
Hmmm..I see your point.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't seen this before. It's got some great features. I really like the dual probes and notifications. I still like the idea of having 2 heaters though. I work some long hours, and I guess I'm an oddball because I keep the room temp fairly cool in the winter. Having redundant heaters gives me peace of mind that I may have time to correct a heater failure before the tank gets too cool. If they make one of these that will control 2 heaters, I'll have to seriously consider it.

Why not Inkbird Ink Bird’s ITC-306a it has wifi and 2 outlets in case you change your mind plus a longer power cord so you have more options to place it in the stand.

the one you linked is a giant thing that has to go directly in to power strip, i feel you will regret it

And there it is! Going into my Secret Santa wish list right now!

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody who actually cares about their livestock will run two heaters on a controller and 99% of reefers will tell you the same. Your house is roughly 8 degrees colder than your tank and it is crazy to consider that a backup.

Any other advice is not very good advice. Sorry.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody who actually cares about their livestock will run two heaters on a controller and 99% of reefers will tell you the same. You house is roughly 6-8 degrees colder than your tank and it is crazy to consider that a backup.

Any other advice is not very good advice. Sorry.
thx, yes I went ahead and ordered it:p

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not Inkbird Ink Bird’s ITC-306a it has wifi and 2 outlets in case you change your mind plus a longer power cord so you have more options to place it in the stand.

the one you linked is a giant thing that has to go directly in to power strip, i feel you will regret it

yep this one is great

Another thing to note with heaters is that a titanium heater will also electrically ground your tank, potentially saving you from a bad shock if something were to go wrong with your equipment.
Id at least get a small titanium heater and the you can get a larger glass heater to to the heavy lifting if you like.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I even need two heaters? Are they both on at the same time - so the 2nd heater just for redundancy for the unlikely event that both would go out at the same time?
It's not unlikely at all, heater failure is a pretty big reason for tank crashes in this hobby.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it your house will heat the majority of the fishtank. Unless you're an oddball who keeps his/her house like cold<70° F. So the heater will only raise it to the magic window of 76-80(2)°F. So no double water heaters... unless your planning on having boiled seafood...
The flipside is you may save on energy by running more heaters in shorter bursts... but that's just silly, unless you got money to waste. If that's the case please contribute to my kessil ap900 page. 1000$ will do please!
This is.. not good advice at all. lol

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back