Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar situation but I’m looking at adding two “smaller” Finnex heaters each which can carry about 70% of my heating requirements. One will be controlled via Apex and the other via a separate controller (but in an Apex outlet for backup). I’m reducing the risk if completely overheating or losing heat entirely.

Still thinking this through.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar situation but I’m looking at adding two “smaller” Finnex heaters each which can carry about 70% of my heating requirements. One will be controlled via Apex and the other via a separate controller (but in an Apex outlet for backup). I’m reducing the risk if completely overheating or losing heat entirely.

Still thinking this through.
Yes, understood but right now I don't have the funds for an Apex system. So I guess I am trying to figure out the 2nd best solution.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS (inkbird) controller with 2 of the titanium heaters. Each slightly under-rated for the tank. The way I see it, if one fails in the off condition, the tank won't cool off too quickly and the controller will alert me. Same if one fails in the on condition. Won't get too warm too quickly and the controller will alert me if my temp goes above the set max temp. If the controller fails... well I guess I don't have a plan for that yet.:confused:

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS (inkbird) controller with 2 of the titanium heaters. Each slightly under-rated for the tank. The way I see it, if one fails in the off condition, the tank won't cool off too quickly and the controller will alert me. Same if one fails in the on condition. Won't get too warm too quickly and the controller will alert me if my temp goes above the set max temp. If the controller fails... well I guess I don't have a plan for that yet.:confused:
So explain this to my like I am a 6-year old. With the Inkbird controller I can plug-in 2 heaters, one will be the primary and the other will kick-in if the first has an issue, and the controller will be monitoring and "controlling" everything? Could I use my existing Eheim heater with this setup?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So explain this to my like I am a 6-year old. With the Inkbird controller I can plug-in 2 heaters, one will be the primary and the other will kick-in if the first has an issue, and the controller will be monitoring and "controlling" everything? Could I use my existing Eheim heater with this setup?

Yes, just get a second Eheim.

Set the Eheims one degree (calibrate them properly) above the Inkbird setting and plug them both into the Inkbird. That's it.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Red Sea 500 Peninsula (105 gal Dt + 32 gal sump) which has finished cycling. I currently have one Ehiem heater which is working perfectly but looking long term where to invest $$ for better equipment. Looking at this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/600w-titanium-aquarium-heater-system-wifi-bulk-reef-supply.html. Is this a good/necessary investment for piece of mind? What do I really need for a bulletproof heating solution?
Forget a heater, I think my next tank will be a cold water reef, I normally keep my house at what 65ish, so no heater needed. Problem is most everything in a cold water reef is blind and colorless. I wonder how I add atms to my water without the tank exploding. I think a 250000$ pressurized system will do, I can use the savings from the heater to begin this journey...

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both heaters will come on at the same time. You can set an upper and lower temp that the controller will sound an alarm if it reaches that temp. You can also set the differential where the heaters will come on. I have mine set to 79. When the temp gets to 78, the heaters will come on, heat to 79 and turn off. Alarm will come on at 76 or 81.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both heaters will come on at the same time. You can set an upper and lower temp that the controller will sound an alarm if it reaches that temp. You can also set the differential where the heaters will come on. I have mine set to 79. When the temp gets to 78, the heaters will come on, heat to 79 and turn off. Alarm will come on at 76 or 81.
So do I even need two heaters? Are they both on at the same time - so the 2nd heater just for redundancy for the unlikely event that both would go out at the same time?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I even need two heaters? Are they both on at the same time - so the 2nd heater just for redundancy for the unlikely event that both would go out at the same time?

If you have only one heater and it fails it will not heat the tank when the controller tells it to.

If a failed heater sticks on, the controller will turn it off, but it won't help the opposite problem.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 heaters because if one fails (and they all fail), the other will pick up the load.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it your house will heat the majority of the fishtank. Unless you're an oddball who keeps his/her house like cold<70° F. So the heater will only raise it to the magic window of 76-80(2)°F. So no double water heaters... unless your planning on having boiled seafood...
The flipside is you may save on energy by running more heaters in shorter bursts... but that's just silly, unless you got money to waste. If that's the case please contribute to my kessil ap900 page. 1000$ will do please!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use my existing Eheim heater with this setup?
Sorry. Forgot to mention, you can use any heater you want. The temp control on your Ehiem heater will add an extra level of redundancy.

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it your house will heat the majority of the fishtank. Unless you're an oddball who keeps his/her house like cold<70° F. So the heater will only raise it to the magic window of 76-80(2)°F. So no double water heaters... unless your planning on having boiled seafood...
The flipside is you may save on energy by running more heaters in shorter bursts... but that's just silly, unless you got money to waste. If that's the case please contribute to my kessil ap900 page. 1000$ will do please!
So are you saying I don't really need two heaters? If so I could get this: since it has the added advantage of wifi.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not Inkbird Ink Bird’s ITC-306a it has wifi and 2 outlets in case you change your mind plus a longer power cord so you have more options to place it in the stand.

the one you linked is a giant thing that has to go directly in to power strip, i feel you will regret it

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude no! First of all think about it, one heater is enough. Buy a good heater, whatever it is. Avoid glass as they have an penchant for shattering. Dial anything is bad, considering how to adjust them perfectly. Its along the lines of having to pumps, how do you sync them so one doesmt overpower the other. Heaters, quality ones are made to last, especially if you dont duck with them. They should be a plug and play deal. And no you dont need a monitor, unless you're gonna be gone all the time. Say you get an alarm how quickly can you respond? If the answer is more than 8 hrs, sure get a second one; but then why bother indulging in this hobby? Again 8f you got cash like that send it to this guys ap9x page please!
That's my 75g w/ a 20g refugoim sump . 300w glass heater...in the sump.

1605574487794986296051093579399.jpg 1605574516348119074830385881714.jpg

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude no! First of all think about it, one heater is enough. Buy a good heater, whatever it is. Avoid glass as they have an penchant for shattering. Dial anything is bad, considering how to adjust them perfectly. Its along the lines of having to pumps, how do you sync them so one doesmt overpower the other. Heaters, quality ones are made to last, especially if you dont duck with them. They should be a plug and play deal. And no you dont need a monitor, unless you're gonna be gone all the time. Say you get an alarm how quickly can you respond? If the answer is more than 8 hrs, sure get a second one; but then why bother indulging in this hobby? Again 8f you got cash like that send it to this guys ap9x page please!

1605574487794986296051093579399.jpg 1605574516348119074830385881714.jpg
Thanks, you talked me off the ledge, plenty of other ways to sink money in this hobby!

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A recommended replacement time for a heater is 1 year. the controller can plug in 2 heaters and control them both at the same time. I often travel for the weekend and if the heater fails then RIP all the investment. redundancy is good or you are rolling an expensive dice. of course it's relevant of how expansive your stock is. using a backup heater to save $400 black widow is well worth it imho

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back