Do I want a programmable Skimer?

Rossmont

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, innovation in these last years has been our core mission and we've first introduced a strong reliable AC motor for the stream pumps (Mover) and then we worked for almost 3 years to control it as it was a DC motor but with all the advantages of the AC, especially the stable and precise flow.
We've been striving to bring to aquariums some of the most advanced features like the voice commands or the finger tap system to create waves in the tank (see Rossmont inTouch app for Android / iOS) and at the time of developing a skimmer we really wanted to do again something very unique.
So the question was: how many times a day I wish I can put my hands on my skimmer to make it work according to what I'm doing in the tank with dosing pumps, etc.? Do I have to skim dry or wet?
How can I finely adjust my skimmer? Shall I turn off my skimmer when dosing something particular?

Definitely we started thinking we wanted to give aquarists not just answers, but results. We designed a needlewheel impeller rotor for our return pumps (Riser) and applied to the controller (Waver) then started the development of a protein skimmer (Skimer).
Results actually came immediately. On every test, straight after break in period (while pump needs to run at 100%), as we were able to drive the skimming pump (Riser SX), we've rarely phisically adjusted the skimmer. We were able to do the fine tuning simply using the Rossmont inTouch app and we started using combinations of wet and dry skimming, even during the same day!
We then introduced also a couple presets in the app to sync it with dosing pumps. We started turning down Skimer while dosing amino acids and tank efficiency improved all of a sudden.
Imagine, you can do whatever you want with your skimming pump and do it automatically and scheduled. What would you do?
We actually opened a door as these new combinations were not possible earlier and finally we say: we want aquarists all over the world to have a fresh experience, great results and new emotions.

Rossmont will give birth to Skimer in April this year.

More infos here
Banner web Rossmont.jpg

OP
OP
Rossmont

Rossmont

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Quick snap 1h after cleaning of the Skimer SX250
Back to work again :)
1551204694233.jpeg
20190226_191415.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very Excited for the new release I have been looking for an excuse to dump my old bubble magus skimmer.

OP
OP
Rossmont

Rossmont

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're really eager for the official release as well! And notice that during tests we have pulled skimmer pumps out from water "a million" times for inspections, checks, tests, and the pump pops out in a breeze while the Skimer body stays at place. We designed the junction point this way as we know how stressful is every kind of maintenance disassembly ;)

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks nice. any ball park on the price point?

Are the screws you use at the base nylon or teflon?

Any plans to possibly use titanium screws?

i've snapped a few swollen nylon screws before due to swelling over time (hygroscopic)

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the pics again and it looks like the cone may be a removable press fit into the base. if that's the case then screws aren't needed.

not sure though. Can you confirm?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're really eager for the official release as well! And notice that during tests we have pulled skimmer pumps out from water "a million" times for inspections, checks, tests, and the pump pops out in a breeze while the Skimer body stays at place. We designed the junction point this way as we know how stressful is every kind of maintenance disassembly is ;)

This is the main reason I want this skimmer. Cleaning the pumps inside the skimmer body is a pain

OP
OP
Rossmont

Rossmont

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks nice. any ball park on the price point?

Are the screws you use at the base nylon or teflon?

Any plans to possibly use titanium screws?

i've snapped a few swollen nylon screws before due to swelling over time (hygroscopic)

Of course prices are already public and we also have a juicy promo for those who pre-order units:
https://www.rossmont.com/us/promo-us.html
To give you an immediate reply, the Skimer SX250 will be retailed at 399$ while the Skimer SX500 will be at 499$ when stand-alone products as there's also a package with Waver controller included.
About screws material it's actually PP (Polypropylene) which is not hygroscopic.
Honestly we're not having the need to open the body so often as we regularly get the cup and the pump (which pops out so easily) cleaned but yes, all is made with durable materials.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back