Question About Rossmont Movers

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Rossmont M1500 AC pumps on my tank. A few years ago I asked Rossmont if they were compatible with the Hydor Wavemaker basic pump controller. Since the Rossmonts and Hydors are both AC I didn't think there would be any problems but Rossmont customer service said they would not be safe to use with the Hydor Controller. At the time I didn't think much about it but now I'm wondering if they didn't say that just to encourage me to buy their own controller.

1) Is there any reason they wouldn't work safely together?

2) One of them is prone to starting up in reverse, would the Hydor controller likely cause this everytime it kicks on and off?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak to your exact use case but can speak to the older style AC wave controllers.

You hit the nail on the head. AC power heads never really did well with starting and stopping repeatedly. I imagine it’s hard on them to cut power then suddenly become energized. It wears them out faster and they are prone to run in reverse occasionally on restarting.

OP
OP
HumuhumuFan

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update this in case anyone ends up googling the topic some day. I tried it. The Rossmonts started up in the wrong direction about 1/3 of the time so needless to say it was a failed experiment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back