Do I want this or should I kill it with fire?

rhailey931

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's growing fairly rapidly, which tends to make me think it's a pest. It's on a piece of live rock I ordered. The rock itself is covered in sponges and is very decorative.

Thanks for the assist!

new-critter.jpg

OP
OP
rhailey931

rhailey931

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very small, and looks hard, with a fleshy/slimy coating. Definitely encrusting on the rock. Each polyp is no more than a millimeter or so in width.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very small, and looks hard, with a fleshy/slimy coating. Definitely encrusting on the rock. Each polyp is no more than a millimeter or so in width.
I would keep an eye on it. Doesn’t seem like anything bad. See what it does.

U

User1

View Badges
No need to kill it with fire. Do as you are requesting further identification. In the mean time you could take a better picture, if possible, focusing on the item in question. Would also help to edit said picture and place a arrow pointing to it, or circle it.

Within the tank itself you can isolate the rock with the coral in the photo so it doesn't spread should it continue to grow. This way you can address it right there and it is out of the way. Not everything is a pest but it could be a coral you may not want in your tank should it be a fast grower or fit your reef type.

By the way where did you buy the rock? That could also help narrow down type of coral. Best of luck!

OP
OP
rhailey931

rhailey931

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the rock through live rock n reef. They have an area they've been culturing rock for several years in Florida. The rock itself is gorgeous, covered in plants, corals, and coralline algae. On the downside, a few aiptasia came along with it, as well as various worms, including some bristleworms. I've got the aiptasia under control (I'm not going to say eradicated; don't want to press my luck.) and the urchin I have is loving the salad bar.

This particular rock is isolated from the main structure so if the coral grows, I can control it. I've already found one hitch-hiking coral from this rock purchase, a lesser starlet colony that, so far, is thriving. So I'll allow this small cluster to grow and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the input, and when I get some better pictures, I'll post them.

U

User1

View Badges
I bought the rock through live rock n reef. They have an area they've been culturing rock for several years in Florida. The rock itself is gorgeous, covered in plants, corals, and coralline algae. On the downside, a few aiptasia came along with it, as well as various worms, including some bristleworms. I've got the aiptasia under control (I'm not going to say eradicated; don't want to press my luck.) and the urchin I have is loving the salad bar.

This particular rock is isolated from the main structure so if the coral grows, I can control it. I've already found one hitch-hiking coral from this rock purchase, a lesser starlet colony that, so far, is thriving. So I'll allow this small cluster to grow and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the input, and when I get some better pictures, I'll post them.

You have it covered then which is really good to hear. Live rock is always the best stuff if you can do it. I really wish I had used it in my 210 upgrade but went with 150 lbs of dry Pukani.

Thanks for the update and keep up the great work. Sounds like you are on the way to a really super awesome tank!!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back