do leathers have sweepers

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my 1st leather coral few weeks ago and placed near top of rocks in good light and decent flow! There was a green birds nest coral below to right of the leather that for last few weeks has started losing its tiny green polyps and going white! was really healthy before leather went above it! I noticed 2 long thin like strands coming from leather when lights out on just one side/part of leather that was touching the birds nest coral"

So are these stinging strands or something? only thought lps had stingers! Is this whot killed birds nest?

1st pics are of leather lights out and can just see those strings on front of leather to left bump on leather
other pic is birds nest and leather lights on!

IMG_20210111_014208.jpg
IMG_20210112_154449.jpg
IMG_20210112_171455.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont usually extend out that far. Have you tested your tank lately? I've only ever lost birdsnest when I had changes in alk(usually up)
my alk has only gone up from 8.7 to 9.1 in a month or so because did take few corals out" but normally very good! has only happened to birdsnest since leather put above it"

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was that birdsnest there? I found if they dont get the right flow they die out like that quickly. Also, are you running carbon filters? I know leathers release chemical warfare into the water and people have said that they affect their SPS.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was that birdsnest there? I found if they dont get the right flow they die out like that quickly. Also, are you running carbon filters? I know leathers release chemical warfare into the water and people have said that they affect their SPS.
that birdsnest was half the size as in pic when put there and about 7 months! grown well mate! only gone like this last few weeks! yes I normally run 2 red sea plastic media cups with 2 cups of carbon! carbon was running for 1-2 month since changing today though! my other 2 sps on top of rocks to left of leather are doing really well and ones a milii and other acro

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those vermetid snails on the rock work? They might have irritated the polyps with their webs, also might be the stringy substance you are describing and not the leather.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those vermetid snails on the rock work? They might have irritated the polyps with their webs, also might be the stringy substance you are describing and not the leather.
don't know mate! never herd of those before you said! just looked at few pics on google! iv got these like sharp thin spikes coming out my reel reef rock all over the place and snap easy when moving rock! iv noticed my other 2 sps have them underneath and have grown over few of them! these are next to zoas also whot are not opening
IMG_3453.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3461.JPG

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup those are vermetid snails, they use a web of mucus to eat. So when you broadcast feed they will start sending the web out and it irritates corals. Best way to get rid of them is to scrape them off and crush them. They will hide down in the base of the tube so you have to get to remove entirely. You could also use super glue at the tip to trap them in their tube.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back