Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To here! Lol when you google best powerheads a lot of stuff comes up‍:eek:, but nothing that is useful. It all seems like one giant ad, and I think this is one of the seldom times that wire cutter is failing me. So setup....
Will be...
This is a next summer tank that I'm doing lots of research on it ahead of time but so far....

20 gallon long with a netted tank top (I've looked at bulk reef supply, but I only really see the one? That doesn't have any corners other than the usual four and I'd like to have one that I could fit to the sides of the tank and just do cut out sections for my equipment, if anyone has suggestions? If not, I'll make do with what they have.)
Aqua clear 30-gallon HOB filter (Again if there are better suggestions, I'm open to them, but I like this one that I have on my freshwater)
Aqua neon Pro 100-watt heater
Aqua neat digital thermometer

But powerheads.... they're confusing (I've only ever done freshwater). I understand somewhat what their purpose is, I guess? Waterflow, movement and cycling the tank water more than what the filter does. Which one? What's best for a nano tank (Ya'll call them Picos? Cute but what does that even mean?:thinking-face:)? Do they go in the front of the tank or the back? The bottom or the top? I have so many questions and maybe I'm not researching right but nothing seems to be helping me so here I am.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To here! Lol when you google best powerheads a lot of stuff comes up‍♂️, but nothing that is useful. It all seems like one giant ad, and I think this is one of the seldom times that wire cutter is failing me. So setup....
Will be...
This is a next summer tank that I'm doing lots of research on it ahead of time but so far....

20 gallon long with a netted tank top (I've looked at bulk reef supply, but I only really see the one? That doesn't have any corners other than the usual four and I'd like to have one that I could fit to the sides of the tank and just do cut out sections for my equipment, if anyone has suggestions? If not, I'll make do with what they have.)
Aqua clear 30-gallon HOB filter (Again if there are better suggestions, I'm open to them, but I like this one that I have on my freshwater)
Aqua neon Pro 100-watt heater
Aqua neat digital thermometer

But powerheads.... they're confusing (I've only ever done freshwater). I understand somewhat what their purpose is, I guess? Waterflow, movement and cycling the tank water more than what the filter does. Which one? What's best for a nano tank (Ya'll call them Picos? Cute but what does that even mean?)? Do they go in the front of the tank or the back? The bottom or the top? I have so many questions and maybe I'm not researching right but nothing seems to be helping me so here I am.
A nano tank is at least 10 gallons, a pico tank is smaller (sometimes much smaller) is the difference

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads (in all their forms) are to provide supplemental water flow and oxygenation. They're recommended for a variety of reasons and should provide roughly 10-40x tank volume per hour (though this can depend on the types of corals, etc. you have)

For a small 20 gallon tank something like a Sicce Nano Voyager 2000 (or equivalent) would probably be more than sufficient

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads (in all their forms) are to provide supplemental water flow and oxygenation. They're recommended for a variety of reasons and should provide roughly 10-40x tank volume per hour (though this can depend on the types of corals, etc. you have)

For a small 20 gallon tank something like a Sicce Nano Voyager 2000 (or equivalent) would probably be more than sufficient
Thank you for the explanation! I'll check that one out.... where should I place it?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's an AOI?
All-In-One, ie: tanks that have a built-in sump either in the rear or on the side where the filtration, pump (etc.) goes.

Thank you for the explanation! I'll check that one out.... where should I place it?
Typically you want to run one (or more) on the sides, angling up to the surface to ensure you get water agitation on the surface.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own I guess that's so interesting to me
I think part of it's the challenge...it's VERY difficult to keep a tank so small when you consider even simple variables like evaporation, keeping salinity stable, etc... anyway, I'm glad you found this forum... plenty of helpful people who are more than happy to help you out. As for the power head, i doubt I'd be very helpful as I'm overseas so my selection is different than yours but you want something to continuously imitate flow (as in the ocean) as best you can. For a small tank like a 20, i wouldn't invest in anything too expensive as you really don't need but so much flow in such a small tank...there are some excellent choices out there I'm sure some members here can point you in the direction of.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bigger HOB. I like to mount the HOB on the side for longer tanks. You can fit an Aquaclear 70 on the side of a 20L. Though would do a 110 if you HAD to mount it on the back panel. . .

That said I like Seachem Tidal filters better, think you can fit their 110 on the side.

Yes mounting this way will look ugly. . . but meh

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a researcher, we Google a lot of acronyms and molecules we don't know lol
What's up fellow uker?! What is your favorite new song to play?

I google stuff every day at work, I just know it is NOT research. Totally a useful tool though. Been a scientist for 18 years.

Back