OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do a canister. That is worst option. It needs way tooo much attention on a salt tank in most cases and not worth it.

A hob is totally fine and an AIO isn’t better. An AIO just looks cleaner since you can hide the heater in it and not have stuff hanging off.

Hob is totally fine and appropriate!! If that is what you like and in your budget. Go for it!

You don’t even need a filter at all in a salt tank lol people run tanks without them and have tanks in cookie jars.
wait hold up I don't need a filter? ......Now I'm really confused and ok no canister thank you for the info

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait hold up I don't need a filter? ......Now I'm really confused and ok no canister thank you for the info
If it's a nano you don't necessarily need a filter...i would do an HOB filter just so you have the option to run carbon or GFO if needed but that's just me

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure canister is a good way to go...
see now that's a helpful answer, thank you!
If it's a nano you don't necessarily need a filter...i would do an HOB filter just so you have the option to run carbon or GFO if needed but that's just me
ok so I'm sticking with my HOB then.
If you go without a filter though keep up with you water changes to control nutrients well
I do weekly water changes anyways but I think I'll stick with the HOB.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All you need is flow, rock, heater, lights. Live rock is a biological filter.

Everything else is optional based on what you want to accomplish and how you want to maintain the tank. You can use a hob if you want or you can not.

There are many ways in this hobby to accomplish the same goal.

Here is a no filter no hob 12gallon

Here is a reef in a 3 gallon vase that uses an air stone and a heater

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is flow, rock, heater, lights. Live rock is a biological filter.

Everything else is optional based on what you want to accomplish and how you want to maintain the tank. You can use a hob if you want or you can not.

There are many ways in this hobby to accomplish the same goal.

Here is a no filter no hob 12gallon

Here is a reef in a 3 gallon vase that uses an air stone and a heater

I just can't wrap my head around no filter.... that seems insane to me...saltwater's are so weird lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't wrap my head around no filter.... that seems insane to me...saltwater's are so weird lol

It’s because the rock is the filter. The live rock is just like say a sponge or media in a canister. It’s just in the tank for corals to grow on and fish to hide in and the powerhead is the flow over it… the rock becomes colonized with bacteria that break down ammonia, etc and with helpful critters that filter food particles like sponges and feather dusters.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question though, it is safe to run carbon in a reef system, yes?
Yes...I'd get the high quality GAC and it'll keep your water crystal clear...there are concerns I've heard about with certain fish but not the fish you'd be keeping in a 20

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s because the rock is the filter. The live rock is just like say a sponge or media in a canister. It’s just in the tank for corals to grow on and fish to hide in and the powerhead is the flow over it… the rock becomes colonized with bacteria that break down ammonia, etc and with helpful critters that filter food particles like sponges and feather dusters.
ttttwwwhaaaatttt?!?! That's so ffin cool!

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...I'd get the high quality GAC and it'll keep your water crystal clear...there are concerns I've heard about with certain fish but not the fish you'd be keeping in a 20
OK...see that's what I want! Crystal clear water is key for me :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but will my water stay clear? I like really really clear water lol my freshwater is pristine

Haha you definitely want a hob filter, carbon, maybe even a uv for ultra clear water. Dosing coral snow and bacteria can also make it clear.

However have to be careful not to harm the animals. Too low nutrients is harmful to corals and some want to filter feed more than others. Particulate in the water column may not look nice but it is food for something.

Stay away from sand sifting fish if you like clear.

You will have to figure that out as you go.. tanks generally go through and ugly stage and all that.

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @Dezbian nice to meet you this is my first time giving my opinion on a thread so here goes. I was in a similar situation a few years ago whilst trying to find the so-called best and in the process wasted a lot of money which I can only take as bought/gained knowledge. So I am sure you know there are three types of flow these are gyre flow(maxspect and others), constant flow(basic powerhead), and pulsing flow(controllable flow via app or box). You first always look at your tank size and choose the right size of wavemaker that won't firstly look ugly and secondly won't have to fish flying out of your tank due to it creating tsunamis. I think you need around 25x the return rate of the total tank volume to keep the water moving and prevent it from getting stale, without water aggregation your fish will die and so will your corals. If you have a high demanding SPS tank only you can have a more powerful flow as SPS like that and it helps them receive nutrients and remove waste now if you have the same flow for SPS as you do with LPS or softies you will see them closed or open possibly with very little to non-polyp extension. Ideally in any situation want at least one pump pointing towards the surface to create surface agitation and at the same time have it mid to low height so that all the detritus can be free flowing in the water collum this way it can find its way to your mechanical filtration. The 2nd 3rd 4th or however many may suit your tank are there to fill in where there are dead spots to try to keep all food fish poop suspended so again it can find your filtration. I have also included a basic picture of how I would tackle flow in a tank I hope this helps have a great day/lovely evening.

Marine Lunatic out :)

Untitled-2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha you definitely want a hob filter, carbon, maybe even a uv for ultra clear water. Dosing coral snow and bacteria can also make it clear.

However have to be careful not to harm the animals. Too low nutrients is harmful to corals and some want to filter feed more than others. Particulate in the water column may not look nice but it is food for something.

Stay away from sand sifting fish if you like clear.

You will have to figure that out as you go.. tanks generally go through and ugly stage and all that.
I have an aquaclear 30 on my freshwater that keeps the water clear but there's still stuff that floats around the tank. That's why I was going to use the aqauclear 30 with a powerhead I'm just afraid of not enough flow or too much flow lol and I Also want what's best for my animals. If sh** needs to be hanging about the tank so the babies can feed then the babies will get a dirtier tank;)

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @Dezbian nice to meet you this is my first time giving my opinion on a thread so here goes. I was in a similar situation a few years ago whilst trying to find the so-called best and in the process wasted a lot of money which I can only take as bought/gained knowledge. So I am sure you know there are three types of flow these are gyre flow(maxspect and others), constant flow(basic powerhead), and pulsing flow(controllable flow via app or box). You first always look at your tank size and choose the right size of wavemaker that won't firstly look ugly and secondly won't have to fish flying out of your tank due to it creating tsunamis. I think you need around 25x the return rate of the total tank volume to keep the water moving and prevent it from getting stale, without water aggregation your fish will die and so will your corals. If you have a high demanding SPS tank only you can have a more powerful flow as SPS like that and it helps them receive nutrients and remove waste now if you have the same flow for SPS as you do with LPS or softies you will see them closed or open possibly with very little to non-polyp extension. Ideally in any situation want at least one pump pointing towards the surface to create surface agitation and at the same time have it mid to low height so that all the detritus can be free flowing in the water collum this way it can find its way to your mechanical filtration. The 2nd 3rd 4th or however many may suit your tank are there to fill in where there are dead spots to try to keep all food fish poop suspended so again it can find your filtration. I have also included a basic picture of how I would tackle flow in a tank I hope this helps have a great day/lovely evening.

Marine Lunatic out :)

Untitled-2.png
I did not know the different flow types (new to saltwater) and thank you for sharing! More research *evil laugh*

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquaclear 30 on my freshwater that keeps the water clear but there's still stuff that floats around the tank. That's why I was going to use the aqauclear 30 with a powerhead I'm just afraid of not enough flow or too much flow lol and I Also want what's best for my animals. If sh** needs to be hanging about the tank so the babies can feed then the babies will get a dirtier tank;)

The power heads I listed are all controllable. You can adjust the flow.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power heads I listed are all controllable. You can adjust the flow.
Sounds like a plan! I think a hang on the back filter, and one of these adjustable powerheads is the way to go! Filtration and water flow handled.....noooow I gotta figure out a suitable netted lid for a 20 gallong long that has a HOB filter and I gotta figure out my lighting :oops:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back