Do non-mechanical/electronic ATOs actually work?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to start a micro tank (0.5 total gallonage.)

Im looking into a mechanical ATO like the following. Question is, are they more functional than gimmicky I don't often trust Amazon reviews.

Screenshot_20210820-165720_Chrome.jpg

People have already mentioned ionic diffusion isn't an issue.

I'm highly doubtful a mechanical/electronic ATO will fit and If it would hose routing would be huge vs tank size, pump output out size of a small doser would be too fast to fill and frankly I don't feel like spending $100-200 on an ATO.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work, but I'd be worried about any waves in the tank causing it to release water when not really needed.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work, but I'd be worried about any waves in the tank causing it to release water when not really needed.
Being a 0.5 gal total volume, display being about half that volume there's definitely not going to be any standing waves in the tank. Just a very very tiny return pump.

But good point and thanks for the word of caution.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an office cooler type ATO which ran great for FW topoff.

It was made out of a Little Giant Poultry Waterer. It was a 5 gallon container with graduations and a lid which sealed well. I took off the bottom red waterer part and just used the reservoir part. I put a PVC ball valve in the bottom (used for filling and moving the unit), sealed well with epoxy and had a piece of tubing cut to the level of the sump. I positioned it over the sump. I don't ever remembering it failing.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar one on my pico. It works, but it's annoying. Waterlevel fluctuates more than I'd like and a liter bottle only lasts 3 or 4 days, at which point I am asking myself whether it really saves me that much effort.

There are proper nano ATOs, I've got an optical one from Aqualight on my main tank, much more carefree and less ugly

You could also diy it with a spare cheap dosing pump and a sensor

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar one on my pico. It works, but it's annoying. Waterlevel fluctuates more than I'd like and a liter bottle only lasts 3 or 4 days, at which point I am asking myself whether it really saves me that much effort.

There are proper nano ATOs, I've got an optical one from Aqualight on my main tank, much more carefree and less ugly

they are ugly. But super reliable. The aqua light is the same as a reefbreeders prism ato. That’s too much evaporation before it refills. In a 8”x8”x8” I have water 7” deep and one inch of evap drops my level to 6”. Those are big salinity swings in a tank that size. The gravity feeds can be set up to allow less than 1/4” evaporation in that same small tank.
Ugly? Absolutely. But they keep my little tank extremely stable.

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are ugly. But super reliable. The aqua light is the same as a reefbreeders prism ato. That’s too much evaporation before it refills. In a 8”x8”x8” I have water 7” deep and one inch of evap drops my level to 6”. Those are big salinity swings in a tank that size. The gravity feeds can be set up to allow less than 1/4” evaporation in that same small tank.
Ugly? Absolutely. But they keep my little tank extremely stable.
Nah not that one, they have another nano ATOs, called easy refill or something.

3-5mm swing I think, less than the gravity one on my pico

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going in a completely different direction, why not go for a closed lid and have no evaporation, no need for an ato at all, especially on a tank that small

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t in the US are you? I cannot find the product you speak of.
Right. It's this one:
Screenshot_20210822-114426.png

As far as I know, it's just an oem product with a sticker on it though, I'm sure you'll find the exact same one on AliExpress if you search long enough. Works with any 12v pump if the one included has too much throughput for you

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you'll have to diy, because the bottle one isn't any smaller.
One of the ones from XP aqua or similar is smaller than the one you linked. Which is what is on the Fluval V build.

The bottle one would probably be over all larger but not in the way it matters to me

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the ones from XP aqua or similar is smaller than the one you linked. Which is what is on the Fluval V build.

The bottle one would probably be over all larger but not in the way it matters to me
I use the bottle because of stability and this fact:

Your tank cannot over fill when you use it. Physics demand it’s adherence to physical laws.

but it’s huge and I use a 750 ml bottle.
image.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back