DO NOT BUY this Hanna Checker!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,615
Reaction score
96,706
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be growing confusion in the reefing world over the Hanna iodine checker.

https://www.hannainst.com/hi718-iod...erm=4581733673622520&utm_content=All Products
This checker is not designed to either measure the forms present in seawater (iodide and iodate), nor for the low concentrations present (0.06 ppm in NSW).

It has no use in a reef tank

It might be useful for a spa or pool if you sanitize it with iodine.

Happy reefing!
 
Thanks for sharing the info.
 
appreciate the money saving advice
 
1644934861532.png


This text is not searchable it is an imagine on their site. Everything else on the site is plain text. They do state it is for pools... just wondering why the choose to you an image for text.

Plus its $199
 
Is there an iodine test you do recommend?
 
Giesemann test is really easy to perform (5 drops reagent 1 + 5 drops reagent 2, wait 20 minutes, read the color chart). It matches ICP results.
 
Sigh. I wish I had seen this sooner. Mine just arrived today. First test, 0.0. I knew something must be wrong as my ICP had my levels sky high. Did some research online, freshwater only. Ugggh.
 
Yeah, no use in a reef tank!!! And what about the iron tester? Bump! ??

Edit: oh and silicate tester do these testers have use in a reef tank?
 
I wish I saw this thread 2 years ago! Lol.

I just bought it and wondering how my Iodine is reading 5.4:face-with-rolling-eyes:
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new