Do/Should you QT macro before adding to DT/Sump?

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some macro from DrReefs, and they claim to qt macro for 45 days in fishes tanks. I put it in a bucket with a light, heater, and powerhead. Should I really wait another 45 days to be sure it isn't carrying anything? No pods or anything came with it, "looks" very clean.
Thanks in advance!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would depend on how much you trust Dr. Reef (which IMHO you should) - but no one can answer your specific question about your particular algae - except Dr. Reef. PS - who told you to wait another 45 days?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred velvet into a display by way of macro. Here's the story, back in the day, lfs and supplier knew not to combine fish systems with any other wet products or organisms. That means inverts, rock, macro, and corals. Today, these suppliers and lfs will connect many systems, and in turn, fish disease will hitchhike a ride to a blood host in your display.

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some macro from DrReefs, and they claim to qt macro for 45 days in fishes tanks. I put it in a bucket with a light, heater, and powerhead. Should I really wait another 45 days to be sure it isn't carrying anything? No pods or anything came with it, "looks" very clean.
Thanks in advance!
When I got my cheato I went 16 days Qt. I dipped before and after qt done. it worked well For me. Use tank water so it would have nutrients.
IMG_0108.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I got my cheato I went 16 days Qt. I dipped before and after qt done. it worked well For me. Use tank water so it would have nutrients.
IMG_0108.jpeg
I'm not at all Sure how/why this chart makes sense. There is no rationale for a.16 day QT for macro algae - and a 45 day QT for other things - of which I'm aware

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks in advance!
Quarantining macro would not be a concern if quarantined. I like your approach to assume it still has something foreign. I would recommend 10-14 day period If you choose. 14-21 days if inverts.

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not at all Sure how/why this chart makes sense. There is no rationale for a.16 day QT for macro algae - and a 45 day QT for other things - of which I'm aware
I was concerned when I got my cheato and looked at Humblefish. 45 days is for any hard surface (skeleton, rock, plug, shell …) that parasite tomont can attached to. Keep in mind pods have hard skeleton also. Tomonts cannot attach to soft tissue of corals and algae.

The 16 days is a precaution against the free swimmer stage that could be in the water that the algae came with. They will starve out and die during this period since there is no fish to feed on.

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! So I rinsed and put the two green bubble time anemone I got from Dr Reefs right in my DT, so there goes that I suppose, dang I still make mistakes.
Thanks for posting the chart @wlmalek !
@MnFish1 I do trust him as much as anyone else, but was burned by brook in the past (not Dr Reefs), and with a 315 gallon tank, I want to mitigate all risks to the extent that is reasonable. Emptying the tank to catch the remaining fish and put them in a rubbermade stock tank is something I never want to do again. Especially when fish are $100-200+ each. 45 days was just like going full qt, without the copper, etc. I didn't put a ton of thought into it, and I like 14-16 much better given info provided.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0108.jpeg

That chart has many logic flaws, it should not be relied on. For example - starfish and sea urchins can "just be rinsed with water" but sea cucumbers need 45 days? They are all related, so the difference is logically incorrect.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance!

I would trust it. 45 days in a fishless system is fine. If you want to be extra careful, hold it for 30 days in your bucket, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Jay

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust it. 45 days in a fishless system is fine. If you want to be extra careful, hold it for 30 days in your bucket, but I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I just never know how close the fishless systems are relative to the fish systems. Are they 10 feet, 2 feet, etc. My LFS has "fishless" systems for inverts about 3" from their QT fish tanks, sooo....:).
Thanks all!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I just never know how close the fishless systems are relative to the fish systems. Are they 10 feet, 2 feet, etc. My LFS has "fishless" systems for inverts about 3" from their QT fish tanks, sooo....:).
Thanks all!

Yes - I was just referring to Dr. Reef. I know of a LFS that puts their sick fish in the coral tank sump to give them "a better environment"!

Jay

dzolot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe BRS has a video showing a freshwater treatment that takes a few hours. I usually rinse and let chaeto sit in rodi water for a few hours and then put into the fuge. Have never had an issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe BRS has a video showing a freshwater treatment that takes a few hours. I usually rinse and let chaeto sit in rodi water for a few hours and then put into the fuge. Have never had an issue.

Doesn't the RODI damage the cells of the algae?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have "rinsed" cheato in fresh water. Never for hours.
Same here - that said, never having done it - maybe it does work? Some macroalgae have pretty think cell walls.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back