Do softies need dosing?

Philliesphan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2024
Messages
133
Reaction score
23
Location
Lebanon
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! A guy I bought some soft corals off of (toadstool leather & green nephthea tree leather) suggested I get Kalkwasser for my tank. I have a 60g. Currently has green star polyp, Pulsing Xenia, Waving Anthelia, toadstool leather, and the green nephthea tree leather. Do I need to be dosing anything for them? And if so, any recommendations? I use instant ocean reef crystals with my water changes. I'd like to keep it a soft coral tank. Thank you all!
 
Coralline algae can suck down stuff and alk is used by other organisms as well.

The best way to find out, is to test :) At least alk to start.

Softy tanks can be run without dosing though, especially with regular water changes. I never dosed my softy tanks but coralline suffered.

If you are interested in growing coralline algae, then I would test and keep parameters in line just for that reason alone.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new