Do we overlook flow?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more I feel like a small video clip should almost be a pre-requisite for coral health diagnosis on forums, unless something completely obvious sticks out parameters-wise. In a reef tank, it's just as important as light, right?

I guess the question is, can issues with flow ie. too much, too little, pattern, etc...have just as much negative affect on corals as too much or too little light?

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more I feel like a small video clip should almost be a pre-requisite for coral health diagnosis on forums, unless something completely obvious sticks out parameters-wise. In a reef tank, it's just as important as light, right?

I guess the question is, can issues with flow ie. too much, too little, pattern, etc...have just as much negative affect on corals as too much or too little light?
I totally agree. I have local friends that have zero flow. They have given me their parameters and then I go see their tanks in person and I’m like ahhh. Flow is weak. Problem solved.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottR
I think this means that you need to test for us.
Sure you can find a Acoustic Doppler velocimeter. If unsure just say that out loud when on a bus or other crowded area. Think Marlon Brando and “Stella”.

When someone reacts follow them home, sneak in(i recommend using a bush to hide in). And borrow the equipment.
Now you can test periodic flow of an open to air system.
But before you go watch “To catch a thief” for inspiration. Could the chaeto have been releasing alleopathic chemicals as it was being hit with the propeller snagged in the pump?

I have thought about borrowing an ADCP (Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler), but the minimum altitude and segment sizes are way to large for most reef tanks. We can have vastly different flow across 2-5 inch segments of the tank. and ADCPs are not the best suited for measuring turbulent flow, which the vast majority of flow in our tanks is.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really say anything more than what has already been said on the topic so ima say this: we all need a pat on the back for being marine biologist on the low. Successful reefers are a bunch of CHEMIST! I think everybody who is in to this has to be lovers of science and have to like pretty things lol. We gotta be smart and intuitive and when something goes wrong we have to look at the parameters and tank symptoms and draw a conclusion and figure out a plan of action, implement, and then HOPE we got it right. Pretty much there’s no vet for our pet. Everybody with a successful tank has made it thru the ups and downs of science and biology because we are the (detritus)!
Keep them tanks movin’

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the big thong with flow is this, you can move alot of water with garden hose jet nozzle or you can move alot more water with a firehose and less pressure...

My point is that flow is very important but it's more important the type of flow. Those powerheads that create that jet of water will just rip LPS and some sps apart. But its important to move the water volume to move food, clear detritus, and remove toxins.
That’s why you never point the powerhead front and center on the corals lol. It’s still high flow on all sides of the direct current itself.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why you never point the powerhead front and center on the corals lol. It’s still high flow on all sides of the direct current itself.
I agree, but some powerheads are more direct than others. That's my point. Not that I point powerheads at coral. That's just silly!

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice significant changes when my flow changes. I have HOB that flows right over Jebao wave. When algae builds up on the impeller, its slows down and the LPS love it! SPS dont. Kinda my lazy indicator to clean the fan!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow is talked about much more now, however I don't see it often talked about with bleached coral in people's tanks. Can have much higher PAR if there is a lot of flow, corals dissipate intense extra light as heat and that flow helps prevent the bleaching. Ever notice how some have a coral bleach in 200 par while some keep the same coral at 600? It's the flow!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blast my SPS!! I put those power heads right on them. I try to keep my Euphyllia right under them as well. Euphyllia really need some good flow as well. I never put them in low flow on the sand. Flow flow flow.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blast my SPS!! I put those power heads right on them. I try to keep my Euphyllia right under them as well. Euphyllia really need some good flow as well. I never put them in low flow on the sand. Flow flow flow.
Then u must have some trash powerheads if you BLAST Euphyllia . It’s more of an indirect flow they need. Movement but not no fire hose blast man come on

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then u must have some trash powerheads if you BLAST Euphyllia . It’s more of an indirect flow they need. Movement but not no fire hose blast man come on
I don’t point powerheads at them. Just keep them under them. A friend of mine sent me a diving video he took. A torch colony was swaying from left to right and getting hit by waves. It really made me rethink flow. I’ll see if I can post that video. @Hexabonal can you post that video from Raja Ampat?

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t point powerheads at them. Just keep them under them. A friend of mine sent me a diving video he took. A torch colony was swaying from left to right and getting hit by waves. It really made me rethink flow. I’ll see if I can post that video. @Hexabonal can you post that video from Raja Ampat?
Well alright then I’m just not sure why u quoted my post to say you blast your corals if u don’t point your powerheads directly at them and just put them “directly under them” . That’s the same as me saying “it’s still direct flow on all sides of the direct current” lol smh good job man keep that flow strong

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well alright then I’m just not sure why u quoted my post to say you blast your corals if u don’t point your powerheads directly at them and just put them “directly under them” . That’s the same as me saying “it’s still direct flow on all sides of the direct current” lol smh good job man keep that flow strong
I just wanted to point out that I blast SPS, specifically acros with flow. Powerheads are pointed right at them. I wasn’t trying to rebut you.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a mixed reef for about 8 years now, and all growth has been great.
I started in my 4' 75g with 2 x MP10s, then added a third, then eventually a fourth. Growth kept increasing.
But, now you've got me thinking that I may need to program less Reefcrest and more Pulse for constant daytime wave action, instead of mixing it up so much.
Screw the fish, let's keep the corals happy!!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have noticed, atleast in my tank, i have 2 neros that run different programs thought the day. But if my torch, which is low and center in my tank gets whipped too much (I have a corner bow so flow gets funky sometimes. And it a powerhead moves and winds up blasting the front glass, my torch takes a beating. And the skin under the head will start to recede on the side that is hit with to much flow. Once I fix it and I usually rotate the torch. itll repair itself pretty quick. So I wonder how much an LPS can really handle. And with sps I've noticed the stronger the current the tighter the structure of the colony grows.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wonder how much an LPS can really handle. And with sps I've noticed the stronger the current the tighter the structure of the colony grows.
I stopped keeping Euphyllia as they would release tips and burn my SPS. Hammer, torches and frog/octospawns all had polyp 'bailout'.

I've also noticed my SPS are more tightly grown closer to the pumps and feel it's due to them not needing to spread out from each other for nutrients, but I'm sure that's obvious to you all

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the eflux system with two power heads and my skimmer/refugium returns. The beauty of the eflux is that I can dial in different flow rates and types at any schedule I choose. Works well for me. It seems that my mixed is happy with a consistent predictable pattern of flow.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My standard 120 has 2 2500gph powerheads on the back wall pointing to the middle of the tank.
I have 2 2500gph powerheads on each side.
They all are on pulse so only 2 are on at any given time.
This give decent flow that changes throughout the day.
Seems to work well for me.
One thing I have noticed since setting it up 8 months ago is once the stags grew into the flow from the side they slowed vertical growth and thickend up.
The stags not getting direct flow are still thin. Just an observation from my tank.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have noticed since setting it up 8 months ago is once the stags grew into the flow from the side they slowed vertical growth and thickend up.
The stags not getting direct flow are still thin. Just an observation from my tank.
This backs up the thoughts and observations of corals preferring high flow and growing thicker/denser within higher flow areas where nutrients are easier to come by

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back