Do you/Can you dip Torch Coral

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any torches but I dipped a hammer coral in Bayer without issue. I've asked the question on this forum before is there any corals that I shouldn't dip using Bayer and the consensus seems to be to dip everything.
Please don't dip nems :)

They don't like it lol

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't dip nems :)
I should have been more specific and put dip all coral. Although not an issue for me because I don't intend on getting an anemone. There is something about a animal that can move around the tank and sting my corals that I've never liked. Plus then I have to make sure they can't get sucked into a powerhead, for me they're more hassle than they're worth.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. 1 capful per gallon. If anything, I tend to mix it a bit stronger than directed. (I use slightly under 1 gallon of water when mixing) and dip all my corals for 15 minutes in this. I use a pump/airstone in the dip to keep things moving and help dislodge any critters on the corals.

Sorry, full strength is 4 caps per gallon, not 1 like I stated above.
I mix mine a little stronger, by using a little less than a gallon of water, to 4 capfuls, when I mix.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer should be fine as many torch keepers use it with success.

We don't have a dedicated coral QT and we really should. When we really start filling the tank with sps we will start a 20 long for a longer quarantine period.

As for now we only dip and then Quarentine in a 10g for 48hrs or so in tank water to let the nasties out. If we see any flat worms or anything crawl out after then we redo the process.
I know this is old but I dont quartine and probably should. I really just dont want the upkeep of another tank! Is your quarantine always ready and do oyu do the upkeep, or do you just fill with new tank water when ever you get new corals in?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is old but I dont quartine and probably should. I really just dont want the upkeep of another tank! Is your quarantine always ready and do oyu do the upkeep, or do you just fill with new tank water when ever you get new corals in?
We have dedicated 20g long tanks for different QT and med tanks.

Pull them put and fill when we need to.

For a short period we were getting new stuff pretty often so we did leave 1 running with some rock from the display.

Last edited:

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have dedicated 20g long talks for different QT and med tanks.

Pull them put and fill when we need to.

For a short period we were getting new stuff pretty often so we did leave 1 running with some rock from the display.
I have so many orders coming in now but i just dont understand how to do that! When you fill one for qt/meds do you just fill with a fresh new batch of water? How can you do that when its not cycled? If you take water from ur main tank it wouldnt be cycled would it? I read that the water is not whats cycled it the rocks ect! Is it safe to take rock thats cycled rom display? Would it not throw the display out of balance somehow? Unless you took a small amount and what about using lights? Can you just start running lights on a new tank? Wouldn't that create a lot of algae/ugly phase?

Sorry so many questions. I am also getting ready to set up a 20 l frag tanks as well. One of the reasons is I definitely over bought and got carried away! LOL. I had 2 orders come in and about 4 more coming lol! I figured I need to cycle the frag tank and have it up running for a little while b4 I added the corals but basically thats the same ing as getting up a quick qt tank!

I hope you dont mind me asking! I let a post about setting up a frag tank and I only got a few responses!
Thanks in advance!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back