Do you collect your skeletons?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious if people keep their skeletons? And if so do you remember what they were?

Setting up a reef after 7 years out of the hobby and I saved my rock. Came across these skeletons and I could picture every single one of them. These are some of the big ones
20200707_210556.jpg
20200707_210602.jpg
What was the sps coral skeleton there? Also I think it’d be so cool to have jewelry like a ring with the skeleton of a large polyp stony coral as the head of the ring.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife was part of the team that re-built the New England Aquarium Great Ocean Tank. They cast coral replicas mostly directly from coral skeletons:

NEAQ-03.JPG

Since then we would always keep skeletons or collect them by digging through live rock bins at LFS:

IMG_20200606_161153.jpg

We have a few castings in the house still:

IMG_20200607_072651.jpg

IMG_20200607_072605.jpg
What’s the last one there!? Is that a tube sponge?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see anything you like... There's a RR colony in there that I estimated at 200 x 2" branches, a 1" frag still goes for $100-150. So, value potentially $20,000 alive, I'll give you an amazing discount for it dead :eek:

Cool, but I have to say the most I paid for any of the coral skeletons in the picture was 80.00 for big pieces of blue ridge. The red pipe organ was only 15.00. So it would have to be a big discount.:)

OP
OP
Z

ZiBiReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a couple very large colonies that died during a bacterial bloom. But now I just chop them up, let them dry, and use them as media in my calcium reactor. Heck, I even do that with corals I trim, especially stags... can't find enough people to buy/take them half the time.
Send them my way, starting new tank:D:D;)

CtrlAltDelete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have the shell of my tuxedo urchin. I keep it as a reminder that this isn’t just a hobby- we have a duty to take care of these
Creatures. I let the water get too evaporated and rather than slowly raise the salinity I got impatient and added a bunch of RO water. The major swing caused stress on my urchin and cause it to lose spines and die.

His little skeleton is on my shelf and it reminds me to not be lazy and be patient. That I’m a caretaker and have to earn the privilege to move up with the creatures in my care. As I get better and more knowledge and responsible I will earn the privilege to aqua ore more species, maybe even some that are on the decline taht I can help foster and bring back to life.

I’ve since gotten another urchin who I am careful of, and now a dwarf coral beauty angel who I’m a bit wary of as she’s been hiding more. I want more corals but until I have a better handle on her and her needs I have no business taking on more.

Sorry if I came across as a bit high and mighty, I certainly don’t mean to. I think we can sometimes take for granted that esp if it’s a cheap coral/fish/invert and thus “easy to replace.” These are still living beings we have a duty to

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from early 90's 3x dipped in poly..R.I.P....all three of my children have taken to show n tell..current pic..o_O:rolleyes::cool:
WP_20200210_18_50_46_Pro.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back