Do you dose Nitrate on a regular basis?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 90gl Reef tank nearing 3 years in age. I have an ongoing issue with low nutrients as I do not have detectable phosphate or Nitrate. When I dose Nitrate, I then get detectable levels (1-2) for about 3-4 days and then drops back to zero.

I was wondering if others are having to dose Nitrate and if so, on a regular, daily basis using a dosing pump. I cant seem to get my levels where they need to be,

Thanks

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing everyday for about 8-9 months until everything leveled out. I like to run high nutrients so I wanted to keep my levels stable. But as of lately they climbed way up especially my po4. Now I dont dose any PO4 or NO3 as everything stays very balance.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of my tanks I had to dose nitrate and phosphate both. I don't remember the time line but it was daily for over several months. Eventually I was able to stop dosing phosphate and a then later nitrates. Every once in a while I would have to add a little of one or the other but eventually I was able to stop both. I dosed manually.
Many folks say feeding heavier helps to raise levels but it really didn't help much with this tank. It weird because I run 3 systems but only one suffered from low N and P. :thinking-face:

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is heavily stocked so there's no need for nitrate dosing. However my frag tank requires it daily since it's separate from the main system. I use reef roids when needed to keep PO4 in check in relation to nitrate levels.

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people dose nitrates in their tanks, but I have seen a few of tanks that had big problems because of dosing. Of course I don't know what they did and how they dosed, but a lot of algal blooms, cyanos and murky water could be related to dosing too much.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would depend on the bio-load and nutrient export. I seldom have to dose no3 but I have a mixture made that helps have to test.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would depend on the bio-load and nutrient export. I seldom have to dose no3 but I have a mixture made that helps have to test.
So it seems heavy Bio-Load requires no Nitrate or Phosphate dosing...so is the consensus that dosing is a result of a low Bio-Load, Light feeding? It is interesting in the feedback thus far that some tanks require it and others do not..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 90gl Reef tank nearing 3 years in age. I have an ongoing issue with low nutrients as I do not have detectable phosphate or Nitrate. When I dose Nitrate, I then get detectable levels (1-2) for about 3-4 days and then drops back to zero.

I was wondering if others are having to dose Nitrate and if so, on a regular, daily basis using a dosing pump. I cant seem to get my levels where they need to be,

Thanks

Daily dosing is the norm for folks who dose nitrate or phosphate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems heavy Bio-Load requires no Nitrate or Phosphate dosing...so is the consensus that dosing is a result of a low Bio-Load, Light feeding? It is interesting in the feedback thus far that some tanks require it and others do not..

Yes, it varies a lot, and depends not just on bioload, but the export mechanisms taking place. Most people do not need it, but expecially in new tanks, it can be desirable to reduce dino risk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back