Do you foresee Corals/Fish DOUBLING in price if Gas Prices DOUBLE?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised they haven’t already, given that air freight has more than doubled already.
That just shows how much markup is in the aquarium chain. I have noticed prices are 20-30 percent higher than pre covid at my local LFS here in Southern California which is the gateway for Pacific fish arriving to mainland wholesalers. So I can only imagine the cost at the inland US LFS being higher.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you foresee Corals/Fish DOUBLING in price if Gas Prices DOUBLE?

PLZ KEEP YOUR COMMENTS NON POLITICAL

If the cost of transport goes up, then prices should go up. As to double, I am not sure. Most items come on flights, so Jet-A would be the price to watch I would guess. Currently, generic jet-a is about 4-5% higher than last month and about 53-54% higher than this time last year.

This is one of the many factors to be accounted for though. You also have to include the cost of airline maintence going up, workers for those airlines costs going up, etc. etc.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas and energy prices are the ones playing catch up, not coral prices amongst other things.

It still blows my mind people complain about $4 for a gallon of gas when they will pay $4 for 16oz of a "specialty" water.

Do you buy 20 gallons of specialty water every week? and I drink my tap water after a filter.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that... It all really depends on to what extent sanctions are expanded. Right now they don't extend to oil and gas. Russia provides 8% of the world supply, and I don't think Opec can make up the difference even if they wanted to.

There's been a big push the last few years to "go green", so you've seen some countries decommissioning nuclear reactors and others not investing in oil or natural gas exploration or development.

We've already been seeing record inflation, shortages and several years of shipping disruption. So I think it's safe to assume our hobby is going to see some price increases with fish - I'm just not sure it will be double the price.

Bizzarro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that anything that has to be shipped in yes; but my LFS relies on a lot of local fraggers for coral. I would hope that they dont!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas and energy prices are the ones playing catch up, not coral prices amongst other things.

It still blows my mind people complain about $4 for a gallon of gas when they will pay $4 for 16oz of a "specialty" water.

Haha well I dont need to buy overpriced water to make it into the office, go to the grocery store, the doctor, etc, etc. Plus that specialty water price does not impact the price of nearly every other good manufactured or shipped.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just shows how much markup is in the aquarium chain. I have noticed prices are 20-30 percent higher than pre covid at my local LFS here in Southern California which is the gateway for Pacific fish arriving to mainland wholesalers. So I can only imagine the cost at the inland US LFS being higher.

Curious why this shows how much the markup is? International shipping of fish/coral has went up more than 20-30% since the pandemic started so if anything I would say they have not passed on some of the cost yet. Especially for the cheaper fish the cost to ship them is as high or higher than the cost of the fish itself.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why this shows how much the markup is? International shipping of fish/coral has went up more than 20-30% since the pandemic started so if anything I would say they have not passed on some of the cost yet. Especially for the cheaper fish the cost to ship them is as high or higher than the cost of the fish itself.
That's why I suggest that the markup on livestock & especially coral is higher than we think, as you said "...the cost to ship them is as high or higher than the cost of the fish it's self". I do agree with that statement, wholeheartedly.

So why bring the fish over to the states knowing the shipping cost are so extreme? It's all about bottom dollar, IMHO the wholesalers are sticking it to the LFS's but the stores are in a bind on how much prices can go up until the customer decides to bow out or go elsewhere due to high prices. I'm noticing certain fish are staying in tanks at the LFS I deal with longer & longer due to those that are interested saying no thanks @ that price point.

Also the availability of fish has gone down, majorly :( as I found out due to restock planning after a 75% mortality rate after a flukes outbreak. Also noticing the hard way with the stock pricing on the same fish that I bought 12-18 months ago has gone up, approx 20-30 percent. I tend to stick with more adult/fully grown stocking as they tend to acclimate better.

in the end it's what it is, it's just my observations and I'm still willing to open my wallet for the pleasure. But the price increases are gonna definitely push people out.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the cost of transport goes up, then prices should go up. As to double, I am not sure. Most items come on flights, so Jet-A would be the price to watch I would guess. Currently, generic jet-a is about 4-5% higher than last month and about 53-54% higher than this time last year.

This is one of the many factors to be accounted for though. You also have to include the cost of airline maintence going up, workers for those airlines costs going up, etc. etc.
The airline industry is a bit in my wheel house. Outside of APA (pilots), it isn't a huge contract year, so legacy cost (wages, retirement, medical) aren't moving much. In terms of increased pricing for aircraft parts, the current geopolitical situation is negligible as the Russians & Ukrainians weren't producing parts of any significance for Boeing or Airbus.

Now 2023, if the geopolitical issues are still valid, jet A is gonna skyrocket, thus your plane ticket cost will go up. Most airlines hedge purchase the jetfuel at 24-36 month lumps. One I do know, Southwest buys spot market, which is probably quietly hurting the hell out of them.

End game, spot market Jet A prices aren't a good pulse, yet...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I suggest that the markup on livestock & especially coral is higher than we think, as you said "...the cost to ship them is as high or higher than the cost of the fish it's self". I do agree with that statement, wholeheartedly.

So why bring the fish over to the states knowing the shipping cost are so extreme? It's all about bottom dollar, IMHO the wholesalers are sticking it to the LFS's but the stores are in a bind on how much prices can go up until the customer decides to bow out or go elsewhere due to high prices. I'm noticing certain fish are staying in tanks at the LFS I deal with longer & longer due to those that are interested saying no thanks @ that price point.

Also the availability of fish has gone down, majorly :( as I found out due to restock planning after a 75% mortality rate after a flukes outbreak. Also noticing the hard way with the stock pricing on the same fish that I bought 12-18 months ago has gone up, approx 20-30 percent. I tend to stick with more adult/fully grown stocking as they tend to acclimate better.

in the end it's what it is, it's just my observations and I'm still willing to open my wallet for the pleasure. But the price increases are gonna definitely push people out.

Ya i dont disagree other than i am not so sure the wholesalers are sticking it to the LFS any more than usual lol. Domestic shipping has increased some, but the biggest increases have come on the international shipments and wholesalers are getting squeezed also. I mean i can buy 200 chromis for $40 direct, but then it is going to cost me $500+ for shipping/fees for that box. That 20 cent chromis turned into a nearly $3 fish if all 200 survive(they dont)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most airlines hedge purchase the jetfuel at 24-36 month lumps. One I do know, Southwest buys spot market, which is probably quietly hurting the hell out of them.

Not sure what makes you think that? Southwest has been one of largest hedges for two decades. For 2022 they have 59% of expected fuel use hedged.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what makes you think that? Southwest has been one of largest hedges for two decades. For 2022 they have 59% of expected fuel use hedged.
My apologies, Southwest does hedge, the other three (Delta, United & American) don't. But Delta is a bit excluded due to owning their own refinery on the eastern seaboard.

Typing too quick on a phone doesn't help anything!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back