Do you grow for pleasure or for propigation and selling?

# Do you grow for pleasure or for propigation and selling?

• For pleasure

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Propigation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Propigation till I can get all the corals I want then for pleasure

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can remember back when a frag in this hobby was seldom heard of and everyone was terrified to chop up a colony. Now a days it seems that everyone is going for the frag tank type look and it has gotten me to thinking. What do you strive for? Growing your corals out to keep and enjoy yourself or would you rather cut them up and spread the love around?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prop for fun,its relaxing to me,haha...I shake when I cut polyps though,and I always will...Im afriad one will blow up in my face even though I have a mouth cover on and glasses,haha!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prop for other people usually, and do enjoy giving frags to people who can't afford them. Just something about this hobby makes me want to share it and help others share the passion as well.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, a new member here, nuff40, just left my house with some large frags of Candy Apple Reds, Mohawks, and a polyp of rainbow zoas :)

I also generally donate frags to our local club for raffling off each meeting. My colonies grow well, and I've fragged so many zoas in my time that its no big deal to me. I'm just glad to help others out

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, a new member here, nuff40, just left my house with some large frags of Candy Apple Reds, Mohawks, and a polyp of rainbow zoas :)

I also generally donate frags to our local club for raffling off each meeting. My colonies grow well, and I've fragged so many zoas in my time that its no big deal to me. I'm just glad to help others out

So what corals do you have:)

:bigsmile:

kellyjn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with pleasure. I don't like fragging things that aren't colony size (I usually only do to get a frag of each of my corals into a local friends tank as a backup). I'm talking old school colony size. Not the 10 polyps, or 1-1/2" disk some call colonies. I know by than the coral isn't worth anything close to what it was when I bought it, but that isn't a problem for me b/c I don't buy the $200-$400+ corals. I like the more mature reef type tanks with larger colonies like most of the TOTMs. I'll be there someday! lol

Clowns, haha, I got you beat, I wear a full face shield when fragging zoas. :nerd:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a buddy of trade back and forth, thats about it. I'm setting up a frag tank soon and I hope to trade for corals rather than buy more often.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prop for fun,its relaxing to me,haha...I shake when I cut polyps though,and I always will...Im afriad one will blow up in my face even though I have a mouth cover on and glasses,haha!

I've had a polyp squirt me in the eye once while fragging. My eye was red for about two weeks, but thats it. No bad effects, guess I was lucky.

Now, I just frag the polyps in the tank now. I've found its easier since they don't all flop over like they do when you pull them out of the water. I just cut a rainbow polyp, 10+ polyps of CARs and 10+ Mohawks for nuff40 and just wore a single glove. No more worries about squirting in my eyes :)

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for Propagation till I can get all the corals I want then for pleasure. I want to have some nice sized colony's but I think I will have to sell a few frags to get some money to buy the rarer corals.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly its a little of both for me. While its fun to see what kind of growth and colors I can get fragging and selling helps support the addiction:)

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that happened to me a few weeks ago. man i freaked out washed my mouth out face. nothing was in my mouth either i just freaked

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, let's not turn these into another one of those silly palytoxin threads...

I personally frag to trade and to keep a backup to the corals in my tank.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it for fun and give most away, sometimes I
get lucky and someone gives me something back.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this hobby has been my drug! i'm so addicted and i'm proud of it! there's nothing better than buying a small SPS frag and watching it grow into a healthy thriving colony

Rayzback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for supporting your local club

I like to trade. I try to get stuff that is not so common in my area. I give stuff to my friends, hopingt that if I loose mine... they'll return the favor.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back