Do you have a Mandarin RIGHT NOW?

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a beautiful fish. I really wish i could get one too, but i don't have place for a refugium. I tried to breed pods in the display but my banggai keeps eating the pods i seed everytime.

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are not hard as long as you have an established pod population for a long time. If you can't pick up a random frag and find a couple of amphipods scurrying around then the population isn't established enough. I waited a year after adding a copepod mix shown in picture. I added them do the DT at night as well as the fuge in a 55 gallon system and was able to sustain a mandarin and a scooter blenny. They pick at pods all day for over a year now and they are both fat and healthy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-065351_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-065351_Gmail.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this one for a couple of years but only see it every few months. Caught this picture in January.
1619177706122.png
Looks like I'm in the same boat. Sort of a bummer not to see such a lovely creature every day, on the other hand it adds interest to the tank. Friends and family searching for shy animals discover other things.

Viking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have kept many Mandarins some have come to me very hollow bellied and to some on their last legs. They were always kept in rock rich aquariums with large areas of sand, aquariums that weren't overloaded with fish. They soon became full bellied and in many cases lasted for years. Did I dose "bugs" no I didn't but then I didn't have so many fish in my aquariums that food was difficult to find. I think part of the problem we have with Mandarins and their care is the number of fish people try and keep in their reef aquariums. Oh I have kept scooter blennies and other bottom feeders with Mandarins without issue, as I said my belief is not having too many fish out-competing the Mandarin(s) for food

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have kept many Mandarins some have come to me very hollow bellied and to some on their last legs. They were always kept in rock rich aquariums with large areas of sand, aquariums that weren't overloaded with fish. They soon became full bellied and in many cases lasted for years. Did I dose "bugs" no I didn't but then I didn't have so many fish in my aquariums that food was difficult to find. I think part of the problem we have with Mandarins and their care is the number of fish people try and keep in their reef aquariums. Oh I have kept scooter blennies and other bottom feeders with Mandarins without issue, as I said my belief is not having too many fish out-competing the Mandarin(s) for food
How big was your tank?

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of captive bred from biota. My tank at the time was only 1.5 months old amd I was totally scared I’d kill them. My lfs recommended a pair as they would be happier. They are growing like weeds!! I feed them TOD pellets and sprinkle them on the top rocks of my tank and I watch them eat!! For some crazy reason it makes me so happy

mandarins are the reason I feel in love with fish tanks.

Attachments

• 174FABBC-1787-4013-B66D-BB6B80282DF0.jpeg
    174FABBC-1787-4013-B66D-BB6B80282DF0.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 4677B276-002C-438C-AF4C-A24741F813CC.jpeg
    4677B276-002C-438C-AF4C-A24741F813CC.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 19

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question of all you owners. I have a pair of captive bred male and female. Until lately they have been inseparable. Always swimming together. But lately the male has been chasing the female to the point where the females tail fin is starting to get damaged. Should I be worried or is this a normal process of pairing up??

dbb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mandarin in my 29g sumpless, refugium-less tank. I rarely dose pods, and my mandarin doesnt eat prepared. It's been going strong for almost a year now! Trust me when I say I have a strong pod population... maybe a little to strong, eh? I'm thinking about starting a pod culture soon if something goes south but I should be good for a while longer!

I will say it is definately possible to keep one in a nano... Maybe not long term, but it's possible to keep one well fed for while in such a small tank.
I'm starting a 29g biocube here in the next few months and would like to keep a single clown and a mandarin. What would you say is the biggest factor to your pod success in such a small tank?

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question of all you owners. I have a pair of captive bred male and female. Until lately they have been inseparable. Always swimming together. But lately the male has been chasing the female to the point where the females tail fin is starting to get damaged. Should I be worried or is this a normal process of pairing up??
Yes, that is normal. But if the female isn't ready, he could tear her up a bit.

Back