Do you have a Mandarin RIGHT NOW?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a 29g biocube here in the next few months and would like to keep a single clown and a mandarin. What would you say is the biggest factor to your pod success in such a small tank?
Leave it. I dosed pods in when I started the aquarium and left it alone for about 2-ish years. I also made sure there were parts of the rock structure that the mandarin couldnt get too, so that the pods have a safe haven to reproduce. Aside from that, just wait a while so that the pod population can grow.

edawq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a captive breed pellet trained spotted mandarin and he's a bit of a chungus

Attachments

• 20210426_131307.jpg
    20210426_131307.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 22

Tidalgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to build my pod population, in my Biocube 32, with a refugium. At night I do see them all over the glass and in the water column. How do I know if I have a strong enough population to support a hungry mandarin?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female has no problem swimming up to grab food just like everyone else. Although I always make sure I squirt some down to her. But today I saw something I’ve never seen. Feeding nano reef frenzy, a larger chunk fell to bottom, a hermit got it. The mandarin swooped in grabbed the chunk knocked the hermit over-and swam off like a bat out of hell! Lol

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two, one male and one female. For over two years now. The males seem to be sold everywhere. Was excited when I found a mate for the male. It was truly love at first sight. Happy to know that my 180 gal reef can support their constant appetites.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got mine from biota. i orderd a male.. 99% its a female and not a male because no spike. but that being said. maybe they dont get the spike when they are 1/2" long lol. I couldnt eve look to examine anymore. I turned off lights and put him/her in my tank on tuesday. 100g display with 100lb rock. i will never see the mandarin. either will disappear and die or disappear and randomly show up bigger LOL who knows. hopefully doesnt get picked on being that small.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While young male does not have a long 1st dorsal ray, If you can get a picture of the dorsal fin extended I (and most of us experienced in keeping Mandarin) can tell the sex of the fish. The shape of the front part of the dorsal fins are different on Males and Females.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back