Do you have acros with zero polyp extension?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pe for me, my gang of filefish see to that

E5587D3B-56CF-4401-9596-FEE439D820BA.jpeg
7A5BB538-E4C2-480D-9294-5BF88A203028.jpeg

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We take it as a sign of good health, but Acropora polyp extension, especially during the day, is somewhat unnatural. I've never seen it scuba diving, and the Acropora in the ocean are growing just fine.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have an acro that has zero polyp extension, and survive / thrive long term? Or is no polyp extension always a sign of an issue that needs correction? Anyone have sps that never shows polyps and has lived for a long time?

My situation:
I'm coming up on three weeks since adding some new frags from a Battlebox. As mentioned in a prior thread, 1 of the 6 melted in less than 24 hours, I still don't know why. 4 of them have been doing fantastic since they were put in the tank. Polyps out right away, and I can see encrusting growth on the frag plug already. The last frag of the bunch is still alive, it's actually noticeably grown (encrusting growth on the frag plug), but I have yet to see a single polyp. I've checked multiple times in the middle of the night, and it's not extended then either. It's a nano tank, and I only have three fish - 2 clowns and a gramma - so no nipping. I've never caught my crabs picking at any corals (doesn't mean it's not happening - but I'm pretty sure it's not). So, what's the deal? Is it still too early - give it time? Should I move it because no polyps=bad? Or is this fine - some sps just never show polyps ever (I don't think this is true, but I dunno).
Maybe try dosing some aminos or phytoplankton to get a reaction.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing a little KZ products, PE all day long.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which products?
Coral Vitalizer
Flat worm stop
Zeo Start3
ZeoBak
LPS
Amino Acid
Pohl’s Extra
Coral Booster
Sponge Power

Small amounts, I watch the coral and glass surface, some only once per week. It’s a small tank so I’m careful. I’d rather dose on the light side.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Vitalizer
Flat worm stop
Zeo Start3
ZeoBak
LPS
Amino Acid
Pohl’s Extra
Coral Booster
Sponge Power

Small amounts, I watch the coral and glass surface, some only once per week. It’s a small tank so I’m careful. I’d rather dose on the light side.
Thanks. I’m a huge fan of the FWS

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JF TNT that has zero polyp extension...and I know it's not dead because it still has color. Somewhat anyway. It's not the deep pink/red that it should be. More like a faded. Got the frag about three months ago.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JF TNT that has zero polyp extension...and I know it's not dead because it still has color. Somewhat anyway. It's not the deep pink/red that it should be. More like a faded. Got the frag about three months ago.
Sounds systematic. A single ai prime 16 is not enough light for acropora in your sized tank. I have a prime 16 almost maxed out and it’s barely enough par for a 6g cube frag tank.

I’d also stop the gfo. It’s not helping

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds systematic. A single ai prime 16 is not enough light for acropora in your sized tank. I have a prime 16 almost maxed out and it’s barely enough par for a 6g cube frag tank.

I’d also stop the gfo. It’s not helping
The color issue was happening before the GFO. I will mention that even with GFO my PO4 is sitting at 0.09. My Bali Green Slimer isn't complaining about the AI Prime though. It's settled in, and before last week's 4 day power outage, was getting great polyp extension and getting its color back after transitioning from the guy I bought the frag from, to its new home. BUT...I did pick up a second one, I just haven't locked in to setting it up yet, as I'm looking to upgrade my tank anyway.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color issue was happening before the GFO. I will mention that even with GFO my PO4 is sitting at 0.09. My Bali Green Slimer isn't complaining about the AI Prime though. It's settled in, and before last week's 4 day power outage, was getting great polyp extension and getting its color back after transitioning from the guy I bought the frag from, to its new home. BUT...I did pick up a second one, I just haven't locked in to setting it up yet, as I'm looking to upgrade my tank anyway.
Good luck with the upgrade.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update for my part. That one blue frag shows the slightest bit of polyp extension now and then, but for the most part, it's clamped tight. /shrug Everyone else is still extended and happy. It's been long enough now for it to die, yet it's visibly growing.

Back