Do you have big tanks with small fish?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always like the smaller “nano tank” fish. Yellow clown goby, fire fish... I’m QTing them at the moment but plan on adding them to my Tank in my Sig block (625L/160G). I know they will look a little lost in the larger tank. I’m looking at adding more Firefish type fish in the future too.

Just wondering who has these and other small fish in their large tanks.

Last edited:

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea how many gallons or what the dimensions are of that tank, but I have multiple smaller fish (wrasses, cardinal fish, royal gramma) in my 180 gal. I'll be adding larger fish as I go, but I like the look of the smaller fish. It gives the illusion of a larger tank and just looks more proportionate to me, like a "real" reef Bigger fish in small tanks always make the tank look cramped, in my eyes.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a royal gramma, purple dottyback, purple fire fish and a rainford goby in my 135. I have some larger fish too, but I also like the look of the small fish.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small schools of firefish, chromis and anthias in my 150g. They add alot of motion to the tank. I would like to have an even number of small, medium and larger fish but my yellow tang will not allow it.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is 400g. My big fish is my wife's Achilles tang. But I am a small fish person. So in addition to all the tangs I have 25+ damsels, 13 Assesors, 10+ pseudochromis, neon gobies, 8+ Barnacle Blennies, 10+ Salifin blennies, Trio of Tail Spot Blennies, Red Cap Gobies, Green Bar Gobies, and some tiny tiny eviotas (see only a few times a year). I love that the closer you get to the tank the more things you spot that are alive and well.

Dave B

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely collect the tiny fish for my tanks.

Having a bunch of small fish really makes the tank look bigger, and more natural imo.

Here's a few of my small fish (the 1" and under gang)
0Q4A6460.JPG

0Q4A6456.JPG

1504710219134046025_0Q4A6322.JPG

Cell phone pic some of the chromis, juvi creole wrasse, and little blue damsel
IMG_8137.jpeg

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also go the small fish route on my 180G main tank to maximize the sense of scale: chromis, possum wrasses, assessors, banggai cardinals, leopard wrasses, mandarin dragonets, gobies & blennies ... and one black molly lol. i might add Centropyge angels later (but that’s iffy cuz i have tridacna clams).

i’ve even opted to not replace my Lysmata cleaner shrimp ... i go with all ornamental anemone shrimp and their like.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also go the small fish route on my 180G main tank to maximize the sense of scale: chromis, possum wrasses, assessors, banggai cardinals, leopard wrasses, mandarin dragonets, gobies & blennies ... and one black molly lol. i might add Centropyge angels later (but that’s iffy cuz i have tridacna clams).

i’ve even opted to not replace my Lysmata cleaner shrimp ... i go with all ornamental anemone shrimp and their like.

I have the white mollies. Great Algae eaters. Don't bother any fish or any coral. I have some pricey fish in the tank but the Mollies always get noticed before the pricey fish.

Dave B

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29bonsai, what are the first two fish you posted above?

Dave, did you have to acclimate the white mollies from brackish water first?

Corey

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of smaller fish in my tank, love the look of always seeing something going on wherever I look. But I also have 2 lager fish that tang police would hang me for. Eventually I plan on Upgrading my tank by 3x so we hope to keep our big guys as they have become family pets with names. Lol. As of now theyr happy and healthy and no aggression for space. So all is good.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. They just look so small in those pictures. I’m looking for some small fish to fill in my 240

Corey

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 small fish in my 125. I prefer that look over a handful of large fish. I'm looking to add 5 - 7 more small fish. I've snorkeled and gone diving a handful of times and whenever I've gone it seems the reefs are covered in small fish so this is also more realistic to me.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see it in my build thread on the monster tank forum - Simons450
Just a suggestion go in your profile and add the link to your build. It will restore your tank build banner on the left. Also it makes the banner clickable and takes people straight to your build.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back