Do you rinse with RODI

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been curious about this for a while. For those of us who are fairly strict with keeping our RODI water up, how far do you take that? I especially have nano tanks in mind here since bigger tanks have so much more volume it's likely less of an impact. When you clean your equipment (pumps, heaters, scraper, etc), do you rinse it with RO water after the fact before it goes in the tank? I've typically not bothered rinsing with RO unless it's a really porous material. Inevitably this means I'm putting trace amounts of tap water into the tank, but I've always figured it's pretty inconsequential.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been curious about this for a while. For those of us who are fairly strict with keeping our RODI water up, how far do you take that? I especially have nano tanks in mind here since bigger tanks have so much more volume it's likely less of an impact. When you clean your equipment (pumps, heaters, scraper, etc), do you rinse it with RO water after the fact before it goes in the tank? I've typically not bothered rinsing with RO unless it's a really porous material. Inevitably this means I'm putting trace amounts of tap water into the tank, but I've always figured it's pretty inconsequential.
Normally no except for all testing epquitment, vials, syringes etc, all gets washed, scrub/pipe cleaner and rinse with rodi.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RO for final rinse on anything that will be in the tanks. No idea if it makes a difference but it feels like the right thing to do.

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use RODI water with cleaning materials and test kits since you don't want tap water contaminants to skew your results. Other things I just use the tap.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap all the way. I dry testing equipment before I put it away though. Everything else, socks, skimmer cups, etc.... I don’t freak out over little stuff like that. There’s far more in the air (dust, aerosols, candles, extra CO2), that will affect the tank WAY before a little bit of sink water will.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap water if its something I'm going to dry. If somethings wet im putting back in the tank I use ro
20200708_233128.jpg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically rinse everything in tap water except for test kit equipment which gets rinsed in RODI. Sometimes I use RODI for a final rinse when cleaning pumps etc but not always. As has been said already as long as your tap water isn’t too bad the minuscule amount of what goes into the tank compared to overall volume is fine. If you are on really bad well water, or if your water has Chloramines you may want to take extra care however.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the initial rinse with tap water then I proceed to give a second rinse with RODI. The less that goes in hopefully the better the tank will be!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back