Do you run carbon in your mixed reefs to try to limit chemical warfare?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading about softie chemical warfare, and how brutal they can apparently be, along with of course Paly/zoas. Do you run carbon to try to protect your non-softies, or would it even make a difference?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading about softie chemical warfare, and how brutal they can apparently be, along with of course Paly/zoas. Do you run carbon to try to protect your non-softies, or would it even make a difference?
A lot of people don’t seem to have leathers/softies in mixed reefs but generally everyone I’ve seen with a mixed reef (Softies, LPS, SPS) have ran carbon and found it does great with reducing problems.

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran carbon in a tank that I didn't have great success with (my fault, parameters weren't what I thought due to calibration issues) and my water was always so clear. I've really debated adding carbon again to my current system that's thriving, just afraid it'll suck up my nitrates or something else and cause my corals to be upset. Curious what others think

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran carbon in a tank that I didn't have great success with (my fault, parameters weren't what I thought due to calibration issues) and my water was always so clear. I've really debated adding carbon again to my current system that's thriving, just afraid it'll suck up my nitrates or something else and cause my corals to be upset. Curious what others think
Carbon does not absorb nitrates.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon does not suck up your nitrates.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off using seachem Purigen and then added carbon and to be honest I didn't see a difference. I like Purigen better, pretty much does the same thing and keeps your water crystal clear, also it can be reused by following their regeneration method. The resin beads go dark in color when it's exhausted and lasts way longer than carbon.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it to clean up what it will and it keeps the water clearer and helps with any chemical warfare. I don't keep leathers but lots of shrooms, ricordia, yuma, zoas, gonipora, alveopora etc. along with LPS and nem's. A lot of fingers have been pointed at carbon causing lateral line in tangs but never been proven. If you're going to run it use something of quality for reefing. Just not something like Walmart "fish carbon". Think I'm still on a 5g bucket I bought from BRS years ago.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used very low dose of Ozone injected into my skimmer every 4 hr for 5 minutes. . So far working very well and water is crystal clear too.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off using seachem Purigen and then added carbon and to be honest I didn't see a difference. I like Purigen better, pretty much does the same thing and keeps your water crystal clear, also it can be reused by following their regeneration method. The resin beads go dark in color when it's exhausted and lasts way longer than carbon.
I didn't know Purigen helped with this kind of issue. I wonder if it would pull Palytoxin out of the water?

@Randy Holmes-Farley would you happen to know?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few palys I have no issue with any toxins that I can tell.. all I know is my reef corals dont show any signs of stress while using it. IMHO it seems to work well with carbon. but as with anything YMMV

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back