Do you specifically feed your peppermint shrimp?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two peppermint shrimp in my tank - they ate the one aiptasia I saw in the tank. They spend a fair amount of time scavenging (one is frequently out in the open, the smaller one is usually hidden until night time). I only have 2 fish and generally have been feeding pellets (it's a 32g biocube, so I didn't want to overfeed since not many fish yet). I also have an emerald crab, 4 hermits, and a collection of snails (one or two mini brittle stars too that were hitchhikers).

Anyway, now that I've gotten a second fish, I fed some frozen a couple of times this week. The last time, oh my, the shrimp went nuts. They immediately came out in the open trying to get some, even the little shy one. So now I fear I'm starving the poor things! My tank is about 4 weeks old, but was started with 30 lbs of cured live rock that has sponge, and algae, etc and the tank has more algae in it than I'd like to see. After seeing their reaction, I'm wondering if I should be feeding more. My plan was to feed pellets twice a day on one day, then the next feed pellets once and frozen once, and alternate that schedule.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have or had peppermint shrimp not sure if they are still alive. I put them in my tank and never saw them again. But I do have 2 cleaner shrimp. I've had them for probably close to a year. I don't go out of my way every day to hand feed them. often theres leftover food on the ground they end up eating. but sometimes I do feed them by hand and they come right up to me and eat right out of my hand. if you want you can feed them out of your hand. I only feed frozen food so not sure if they eat pellets.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have or had peppermint shrimp not sure if they are still alive. I put them in my tank and never saw them again. But I do have 2 cleaner shrimp. I've had them for probably close to a year. I don't go out of my way every day to hand feed them. often theres leftover food on the ground they end up eating. but sometimes I do feed them by hand and they come right up to me and eat right out of my hand. if you want you can feed them out of your hand. I only feed frozen food so not sure if they eat pellets.
We've named them Biggie and Pipsqueak and I can see Biggie being an actual pet. He is not afraid of us at all!

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've named them Biggie and Pipsqueak and I can see Biggie being an actual pet. He is not afraid of us at all!
Put some food in your hand and let the shrimp come up to the food and if you get in the habbit of doing this everyday then soon the shrimp could get used to you and have no problem with you in the tank. I feed all my fish by hand and they come right up to me and eat right out of my hand. Coolest thing ever. They all know when they are going to get fed because they all gather around. Sometimes I get bit on accident when sticking my hand in the tank because they think my fingers are food but it doesnt hurt

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp will eat just about anything and most forage at night when the lights go out. I think some would eat until they explode. They just get really excited about food, especially new food and stuff they don't get too often. You should ever HAVE to target feed them, but it is fun when they eat out of your hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back