Doc's Red Sea Reefer 250

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done an update in quite some time. We have a major power outage here in South-East Michigan over the Winter. I lost EVERYTHING in my DT with the exception of the GSP (I thought it was dead but it came back to life after about a month and a half). Presently we've got a pair of clowns and a cleaner wrasse in the display. There was also a Royal Gramma, Lantern Basslet, and Six-Line Wrasse. All have since been deported to the coral QT tank in the basement as punishment for harassing other fish. I also ordered a Sleeper Gold Head Goby, but Live Aquaria sent me one way too big for my tank.

I've got some corals already going in QT to repopulate the DT...
IMG-3650.jpg

...but in the meantime...

I'm doing some cabinet/sump rearranging. Had to move the ReefMat. It used to be on the left of the skimmer, and the main drain extended over the top of it, and was fed in from the right side. The pipe being above it got in the way of changing the roll. So, swapped the skimmer and the ReefMat, and redid the main drain to go straight down into the sump, and turned the valve to face to the right (so it doesn't block the door from closing).
IMG-3681.jpg

After re-doing my main drain line, I was still able to keep my refugium by putting the skimmer to the left of the ReefMat.
IMG-3682.jpg

Also moving the GHL system from the side cabinet, to a spot inside the main cabinet. My water supply lines were just way too long, and lead to never getting accurate readings. Having the units inside the cabinet will allow for much shorter lines.
IMG-3680.jpg
Tank is looking good!

ReeferinShanghai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread! I am in the process of redoing my pumbing (MUCH less abbiciously) and this is helpful to see.

Did you use 1" on both of the downflow and emergency? I know the original emergency is 25mm (1") and the downflow is 32mm (1.25").

I want to use all 25mm but am a little worried about having enough flow to reach the 2500gph recommended. My research shows that the smaller pipe won't be big enough. to allow that much water. IF you used 1 inch throughout, did this work out for you?

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread! I am in the process of redoing my pumbing (MUCH less abbiciously) and this is helpful to see.

Did you use 1" on both of the downflow and emergency? I know the original emergency is 25mm (1") and the downflow is 32mm (1.25").

I want to use all 25mm but am a little worried about having enough flow to reach the 2500gph recommended. My research shows that the smaller pipe won't be big enough. to allow that much water. IF you used 1 inch throughout, did this work out for you?
So of course the conversion isn’t direct due to the standard to metric differences. However, to answer your question I used 1” on the main line and 3/4” for the emergency.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back