Documenting torch coral spawn

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the interesting things that happened in my tank:

Purple torch coral spawned in Feb 2021 and a number of torch coral babies popped up in my tank. It was not a big colony, just a two head frag that I had for several months. Not sure exactly what caused them to spawn, the only difference is since Jan 2021, I upgraded to 40 breeder during which I moved the tank to my bedroom and my bedroom is usually completely blacked out as my sleep schedule was messed up and I didnt want any tiny amount of light spill to disturb my sleep. So that might have contributed to it.
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 12.58.05.png

I did not expect the spawn to survive as my clownfish were gobbling them like treats

But months later I started noticing tiny spots of growth popping up all over my rock work, with time they grew to a purple torch, highlighted below. Pic taken in Oct 2021
IMG_9713.JPG

Eventually they grew big and became a nuisance as they started stinging corals next to them, even in the image above, you can see the baby torch has killed some of the favia above it. I had to intervene, remove every piece of rock and then cut the baby torches out of the rock with a dremel. I got close to 30 frags of them, some were too small to cut or in a nook that cant be accessed so i epoxied and killed them,

A picture of the baby torch coral frags that I harvested. It took more than a year since spawn to get this size, no special care for raising the spawn, it just grew on its own in the display tank. Pic taken July 2022

c4d6b3ff-3109-46a0-a88e-e81e6004b6a8.jpg

I have sold all the frags, I lost the mother frag due to my lack of care and now regrowing the colony with one of the babies,

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are working now, and very cool! I imagine the blacked out nights helped it coordinate its spawning activity, perhaps with a little bit of a temperature variation with the seasons that happens naturally in many homes. Were your lights set to use a lunar cycle, or just on a standard timer?

Also was it only one colony, or several individuals? I wonder if they were able to self-fertilize, as some corals and anemones seem to be able to.

OP
OP
Ashwinclement

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lunar cycle, just standard timer, light comes on at 10AM and turns off at 9PM, temperature variation is possible, I did not have a Inkbird controller back then, so was just relying on the Eheim Jager heaters thermostat. I noticed it only on the purple torch, the only other torch i have is a green torch I did see anything come off it. My guess is they self fertilized, because all the spawn I got were exact replicas of the mother colony.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back