Does a dual calcium reactor really reduce CO2??

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard yes it does, I have heard no it dont.
Does anyone here have proof it is worth running a second off gas chamber to reduce the CO2 going into the DT??
Is it worth the extra $100 or more to "maybe" raise the PH in my tank by 0.05 - 0.1?????

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard yes it does, I have heard no it dont.
Does anyone here have proof it is worth running a second off gas chamber to reduce the CO2 going into the DT??
Is it worth the extra $100 or more to "maybe" raise the PH in my tank by 0.05 - 0.1?????

It will help increase the pH in the effluent, but not a lot. If low pH is a real concern for your system you could add Kalk to the ATO instead. However I don't think it's going to be worth it unless you already have chronically low pH problems. Do you?

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH hoovers around 8.07 and 7.9 . lowest in the early morning hours.
I was told not to chase my PH numbers.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to bump up the ph a bit. A 2nd chamber in your case will be good to have. Having lower ph already and then adding a CaRX on top of it will make it go lower.

Also a 2nd chamber wont raise ph, it will help it from dropping further though.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to bump up the ph a bit. A 2nd chamber in your case will be good to have. Having lower ph already and then adding a CaRX on top of it will make it go lower.

Also a 2nd chamber wont raise ph, it will help it from dropping further though.

I am already running a calcium reactor with those PH numbers

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right. Adding the 2nd chamber will bring the ph back up to that. My tank did the same thing. Only mine was 8.4 before, 8.1 after adding the CaRX. Then added the 2nd chamber and it went back to normal

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right. Adding the 2nd chamber will bring the ph back up to that. My tank did the same thing. Only mine was 8.4 before, 8.1 after adding the CaRX. Then added the 2nd chamber and it went back to normal

I agree, in your case I would spend the money and get a second chamber. There is no draw backs other than cost.

OP
OP
Pepcrylic

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your reactor? and what size 2nd chamber did ya add? I am running the RO 9'' diam X 23'' tall ractor. Looking to add a 6'' X 24" secondary. Sound right to you?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Geo's Reef 618 (6" reactor, 22" tall) with a Geo's 410 reactor (4" reactor, 12" tall)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170121_015011.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL of the CO2 released from the cylinder ends up in the display tank. A second chamber allows a little less CO2 to be used to dissolve the same amount of calcium carbonate, so the pH may not drop as low.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy
What are the affects of running a calc reactor a PH of 7.5 to 7.8 ,mag at 1350 , calc at 470 .The tank is 1000L rammed with sps and has ULNs .My corals are good colour and growing great but I feel I need to do something to bring the PH up but I don't know the benefits it will bring.
Bill

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy
What are the affects of running a calc reactor a PH of 7.5 to 7.8 ,mag at 1350 , calc at 470 .The tank is 1000L rammed with sps and has ULNs .My corals are good colour and growing great but I feel I need to do something to bring the PH up but I don't know the benefits it will bring.
Bill

The primary expected benefit of higher pH would be somewhat faster calcification (skeletal growth). Generally, I wouldn't worry too much if the low end of the pH range is 7.8 or higher.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy
Many thanks, i have just ordered a CO2 scrubber and media to try to raise the PH as it can only be beneficial to the system if I can get it in the 8 range .

Bill

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, I never thought about this, does it really work. Seems to make sense to me

It is a common way to deal with excess indoor CO2 levels. It does work, but how well depends on he relative aeration from the tank top (which is still in higher CO2 air) vs the skimmer (with low CO2 air).

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took readings on the difference of a second chamber and not having one. The size of the second chamber didn't matter as long as it was there. Even a di resin canister works as good as a large chamber, at least with a drip rate and not a steady stream which I wasn't testing. A second chamber raised the pH of the exiting water by .2
I would think even running your exit water through a large cup of crushed coral that overflows into the sump will help. We know the second chamber helps because the media in the second chamber depletes at a steady rate when a reactor is running well.
Has anyone tested the difference in a tanks pH when a reactor is run dripping into the skimmer as opposed to the sump? I would think that the pH would still be affected to a good degree since the co2 is still reacting with the water. Im not sure how well air in a standard sized skimmer would affect the pH in this situation as opposed to an very oversized one. Very curious to hear from anyone with experience or who has tested these scenarios.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back