Does Acropora SPS need white LED light

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,some people say that in natural seas, sps grow in shallow water, so they need more white light, is there any basis for this statement?

I am a scuba diver and an underwater photographer.

As you descend the longer wavelengths of light get absorbed by the water column. Below 15’, you do not see anything red. You have to take your own light source down there. Orange goes next, followed by yellow and then green. At about 90’, it is a blue world.

That being said, I have seen acropora at 60’. Caribbean elkhorn (another acropora, is found pretty much in shallow water but it is usually deeper than 15’ and more like 25’ and sometimes a bit deeper. And there are other Caribbean SPS corals that are found a fair bit deeper.

Also, what is important to corals is the photosynthetic spectrum. And that is dominated by the blue wavelengths. They do use some of the higher wavelengths but that is not a big deal. I have seen plenty of thriving photosynthetic stoney corals at depth.

OP
OP
Miss the future

Miss the future

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a scuba diver and an underwater photographer.

As you descend the longer wavelengths of light get absorbed by the water column. Below 15’, you do not see anything red. You have to take your own light source down there. Orange goes next, followed by yellow and then green. At about 90’, it is a blue world.

That being said, I have seen acropora at 60’. Caribbean elkhorn (another acropora, is found pretty much in shallow water but it is usually deeper than 15’ and more like 25’ and sometimes a bit deeper. And there are other Caribbean SPS corals that are found a fair bit deeper.

Also, what is important to corals is the photosynthetic spectrum. And that is dominated by the blue wavelengths. They do use some of the higher wavelengths but that is not a big deal. I have seen plenty of thriving photosynthetic stoney corals at depth.
Thanks,my next goal is to learn diving

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back