Does an uneven stand matter for a rimmed tank?

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium rack that has wire shelves instead of boards and even though is rated 1000 pounds a shelf the wire platform is now warped a bit in the middle. Most of the tank is in contact with the shelf besides the gaps inbetween the wire.

Does this matter if the tank has a rim?

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell without photos. But sagged shelves sound worrying to me. Even if tank will be fine supported at the ends only, rack may have been subjected to abuse and may collapse under load. Wire shelves scream retail display shelving to me...

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20221105_041719_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221105_041733_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221105_041733_Chrome.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wood stand meant for a 65 gallon ill be replacing it with but am wondering if this needs done immediately or not.

tranceFusion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused - it’s currently on the husky shelving frame, but you replaced the shelves with wire?

Unless the aquarium footprint is the exact size of the frame so that it’s sitting directly on the edge braces, you are limited by the weight the wire can hold.

Not to mention those shelving frames just sit on the vertical posts rather than being screwed into them, which makes the entire structure wobbly and uneven.

Personally, I would make every effort to remove it from the Husky shelf before the weekend was over.

Last edited:

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a wire shelf as well and had to put supports under it to fix this same issue.

When I had a 20 gallon it was easy to fix; drained the tank about half way and gently tilted it backwards just enough to get it underneath, then did the same with the back.... just be gentle if you have rockwork. A little tricky and nerve-racking but it can be done.

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused - it’s currently on the husky shelving frame, but you replaced the shelves with wire?

Unless the aquarium footprint is the exact size of the frame so that it’s sitting directly on the edge braces, you are limited by the weight the wire can hold.

Not to mention those shelving frames just sit on the vertical posts rather than being screwed into them, which makes the entire structure wobbly and uneven.

Personally, I would make every effort to remove it from the Husky shelf before the weekend was over.
Im just using the material that comes with the shelf..

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium rack that has wire shelves instead of boards and even though is rated 1000 pounds a shelf the wire platform is now warped a bit in the middle. Most of the tank is in contact with the shelf besides the gaps inbetween the wire.

Does this matter if the tank has a rim?
Tank size?

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallons weights around 500lbs.
My biggest concern would be shelf infill sagging and putting point load on the bottom where crosbrace in the middle is.
Usually shelf cover is patheticly thin, adding 1/2" plywood or even chipboard would give some piece of mind.

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i put it on the new stand and noticed that the water line wasnt level. It seems to be missing 2 screw in feet on one side.

Will this cause the tank to bust a seam?

My 65 busted and was at a similar angle but was a 15 year old tank, had been stored outside, and was like that for about 2+ years.

Attachments

• 20221106_012924.jpg
    20221106_012924.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ugly, that's it, no extra load on the sides, unles you overfill to hide the waterline...
Don't panic and shim it up when you have a chance.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back