Does anyone dose ammonia and/or how would one try?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini conflict summarized: straight peroxide is supposed to be harmful when added but boosted efficiency of nh3 turnover temporarily. Oxydator is claimed safe and has lowered efficiency/ paradox even though the measures above are still in spec for reefs it’s a very odd reading

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's a lot more and less that that oxydator does than is claimed on a molecular level.
Yeah if the oxydator keeps my ammonia levels above 0 I won’t dose ammonium chloride. I have no idea what it’s doing but everything is looking happy with it so I’ll keep it running.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if the oxydator keeps my ammonia levels above 0 I won’t dose ammonium chloride. I have no idea what it’s doing but everything is looking happy with it so I’ll keep it running.

I guess it depends on whether you have confidence in the ammonia readings.

It might be speeding the breakdown of organics or killing of bacteria in the device.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on whether you have confidence in the ammonia readings.

It might be speeding the breakdown of organics or killing of bacteria in the device.
So the Seneye ammonia readings are “trimmed” by the user to read what the user thinks it should read. Don’t seem very scientific to me, perhaps I’m just a sceptic but I think a calibration solution should be used.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so api or Red Sea prep is better right: must fill 5 mls even if graduation mark is set at four, can’t be expired, must shake reagents, must have fw sw compare card handy, must be in clear white light, must wait 5-9 mins for read, can’t use prime ahead of time, ten other alignments or we get a classic stuck cycle. Only chemists can use api correctly.

this meter calibrates for change just fine, it benchmarks against restricted surface area qt in prior pages and two different reef displays back to thousandths

show me a better current meter used in a post on the board.

even if we want to debate bottom end tuning (against what, show it’s wrong, it’s within written nh3 specs for reefs) this meter above shows precise change and back to baseline...can’t just claim inaccuracy out of the blue either.

especially without posting a link where any aquarist on the board makes nh3 findings for cycle timing or reflections on activated surface area management with a clearer change indicator. Hach meter will do, show some data to refute findings here using hach nh3 meter and post that finding.

Jon

you have the baddest meter this side of tombstone arizona

Last edited:

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m pretty sure this Seneye is working and I don’t play with the trim. I’ve also noticed feeding live black worms will increase ammonia more than frozen foods.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this meter calibrates for change just fine, it benchmarks against restricted surface area qt in prior pages and two different reef displays back to thousandths

even if we want to debate bottom end tuning (against what, show it’s wrong, it’s within written nh3 specs for reefs) this meter above shows precise change and back to baseline...can’t just claim inaccuracy out of the blue either.

especially without posting a link where any aquarist on the board makes nh3 findings for cycle timing or reflections on activated surface area management with a clearer change indicator. Hach meter will do, show some data to refute findings here using hach nh3 meter and post that finding.

Jon

It shouldn’t be that hard to calibrate it properly. Known amount of saltwater, temp, pH, ammonia, Bobs your uncle. Sure beats the hell out of doing nothing or guessing.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t be that hard to calibrate it properly. Known amount of saltwater, temp, pH, ammonia, Bobs your uncle. Sure beats the hell out of doing nothing or guessing.
I tried twice with one gallon of new saltwater and ammonium chloride. I got different readings both times. It’s probably just better to use the Seneye as a trend pattern rather than a precise number.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jon

Jon has just evidenced inaccuracy, I don’t need to claim it. Can you understand why chemists, scientists etc would have a problem with this? I’m fine with it, I love a hobby experiment and folk who undertake them. Hats off to all hobby experimenters.
Why would we need a better way of measuring it? It’s inconsequential in a cycled tank isn’t it?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon has just evidenced inaccuracy, I don’t need to claim it. Can you understand why chemists, scientists etc would have a problem with this? I’m fine with it, I love a hobby experiment and folk who undertake them. Hats off to all hobby experimenters.
Why would we need a better way of measuring it? It’s inconsequential in a cycled tank isn’t it?
Yeah I’m not a chemist, I’m a wood floor guy with a reef tank. I hope people don’t think I’m an expert.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say since I’ve been trying to keep ammonia above 0.001 on my Seneye corals and green algae are growing. Normally I’m really good at growing Dino so this is an improvement for me!!
Makes sense as a substitute for adding a nitrate solution or loads of fish.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s not easy to find and link another digital nh3 proof right?

this version 1 is what we have, it’s used to prove fish-in cycling doesn’t harm fish, that all reef tanks and not just some can control ammonia after a cycle and they dont lose this ability, even if api disagrees, and its been used to establish qt nh3 averages vs display tank averages and it’s also been used to prove that removing sandbeds doesn’t harm nitrification

Seneye proved that cycle charts aren’t wrong about their ammonia timing dates.

recently was used to prove peroxide was not harmful when dosed, lots of things that a forum trying to discern between yellow and green on a test tube cannot discern. Was used to show reefers how much nh3 mixes up in a batch of saltwater

the benefits are for you eternal skeptics Reef., your team used to debate lots of ammonia claims before we got digital, remember those early days of doubt we did troubleshooting battles for pages over whether or not someone had free ammonia issues in post cycle reefs

when someone posted their ammonia was stuck at .25 everyone believed them, that’s still the case.

skepticism never ends, even when Jon has benchmarked the meter nine different ways on his thread. That’s good for the hobby though as it creates a high bar for success. Forums need to be skeptical of everything claimed it prevents snake oils from getting through to mass practice.

as soon as we get another nh3 meter in the hobby we can bump this thread to check past claims. Red seas and api’s ability to discern these differences is already on file and a total mess. Those kits have set our hobby back decades.

seneye is going to cause bottle bac sellers to sell less panic doses that’s 100% sure, but only when these meters are more common. The sellers will continue to benefit massively from the api notion that reefs can’t control their ammonia months after cycle completes.

Last edited:

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense as a substitute for adding a nitrate solution or loads of fish.
18 fish fed at least four times a day might be my problem. Adding Neonitro and Neophos never got me to grow green algae like ammonium chloride. But then again it may be from something else I’ve done recently?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to dig into Randy’s reply yesterday breaking down organic material and how the oxydator helps or is it just masking a bacteria problem? I haven’t done an ICP test in a while but they have all been high in organic.
70E5864F-46F1-422D-A4A2-8DB7B3BAB598.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bump for being one of the most important reef microbiology threads in existence and for re shaping old crap cycling rules into something consistent

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back