Does anyone elses tangs and fish do this during a hurricane

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that everything is functioning correctly as all the equipment I got was brand new and is only about a year old
A GFI would be in your wall duplex outlet, or possibly the service panel. Does you wall outlet have the little push / test switch in it?

I’ve seen some plug in GFIs but they are expensive and not commonly used….

Jay

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A GFI would be in your wall duplex outlet, or possibly the service panel. Does you wall outlet have the little push / test switch in it?

I’ve seen some plug in GFIs but they are expensive and not commonly used….

Jay
Only $20…, isn’t this the right one?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only $20…, isn’t this the right one?

The key is does it auto-reset? The cheaper ones may not. We had some installed on lights on that were on a circuit that turned off with a timer. Every morning we had to climb up to the rafters and press the set button on each one….got old real fast.

Jay

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Daytona beach my fish are acting normal. Dogs are tripping out. Neighbors dog is out playing. I wouldn’t see why some tanks react differently than others with pressure change. Just like other animals do. In my opinion but unfortunately all of us are big speculators lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dogs know when a huge thunder storm is coming before I do. If its not anything else in the tank I think maybe they couls sense it as theres a shift in the atmosphere with hurricanes not strong enough for people to feel until its really close. Did a meteorology and weather class in college and they talked about fish having this sense on the reefs for them to seek shelter lower in the ocean below the reef when a hurricane comes. Thats basically the gist I remember from the class without researching more to refresh my memory. My professor compared it to dogs and storms which is why I remember. So good chance on that!

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dogs know when a huge thunder storm is coming before I do. If its not anything else in the tank I think maybe they couls sense it as theres a shift in the atmosphere with hurricanes not strong enough for people to feel until its really close. Did a meteorology and weather class in college and they talked about fish having this sense on the reefs for them to seek shelter lower in the ocean below the reef when a hurricane comes. Thats basically the gist I remember from the class without researching more to refresh my memory. My professor compared it to dogs and storms which is why I remember. So good chance on that!
It would seem that, that hypothesis is the case as since the storm passed my fish are back to thier normal selves as of today. They are eating a lot and are all out and about swimming and grazing as if nothing happened today. I currently have 8 tangs in my system and all 8 and the fox face did the same thing during the storm in which your storm theory was about. They all went to the deepest part in my tank and hid under the rocks for the duration of the storm until today. They started acting strange on monday and weren't as food motivated and just seemed to want to hide in thier caves more. And it only got worse as the time progressed to the point where they would only take a small piece of food and that was it basically for all day. They weren't grazing or anything. They just wanted to hide at the deepest part of the tank and camo up. Like it is when I go and shut off the lighting at night time. Now they are all schooling like normal and are doing great.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem that, that hypothesis is the case as since the storm passed my fish are back to thier normal selves as of today. They are eating a lot and are all out and about swimming and grazing as if nothing happened today. I currently have 8 tangs in my system and all 8 and the fox face did the same thing during the storm in which your storm theory was about. They all went to the deepest part in my tank and hid under the rocks for the duration of the storm until today. They started acting strange on monday and weren't as food motivated and just seemed to want to hide in thier caves more. And it only got worse as the time progressed to the point where they would only take a small piece of food and that was it basically for all day. They weren't grazing or anything. They just wanted to hide at the deepest part of the tank and camo up. Like it is when I go and shut off the lighting at night time. Now they are all schooling like normal and are doing great.
Sounds exactly like what my professor in that class was talking about! :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I live in southwest fl and hurricane Idalia is getting closer now for the last couple of days I have noticed that since about 2 days ago all my Tangs and Clownfish have been acting very strangely. They all want to hide for the most part and thier appetite has dramatically decreased. They still eat when I present the food to them but its not to the extent of normal. They are all really nice hand trained friendly Tangs and fish and are never like this for me. They are even a little reluctant to even come up to eat from me. Its only been this way like I have said since this storm approached and is approaching they have started to act like this. So if anyone has any inside on if the pressure change from the storm coming is sending them into a natural hiding type of phase because they can feel the change in pressure or what ever it is I would like to get some kind of answers as to what is going on thanks everyone.

Animals are connected to the weather. Farmers can forecast the weather in their area based on the behavior of their animals on the farm.

I would think the same is true for fish.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that many animals, fish included, can detect changes in atmospheric pressure. Fish definitely act differently when a storm is coming. I've also seen the opposite; fishermen catching lots of good fish as a tropical storm or hurricane is approaching. My surfer friends act differently as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back