Does anyone elses tangs and fish do this during a hurricane

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I live in southwest fl and hurricane Idalia is getting closer now for the last couple of days I have noticed that since about 2 days ago all my Tangs and Clownfish have been acting very strangely. They all want to hide for the most part and thier appetite has dramatically decreased. They still eat when I present the food to them but its not to the extent of normal. They are all really nice hand trained friendly Tangs and fish and are never like this for me. They are even a little reluctant to even come up to eat from me. Its only been this way like I have said since this storm approached and is approaching they have started to act like this. So if anyone has any inside on if the pressure change from the storm coming is sending them into a natural hiding type of phase because they can feel the change in pressure or what ever it is I would like to get some kind of answers as to what is going on thanks everyone.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is a connection unless the tank and water parameters are somehow tied to weather pattern.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I live in southwest fl and hurricane Idalia is getting closer now for the last couple of days I have noticed that since about 2 days ago all my Tangs and Clownfish have been acting very strangely. They all want to hide for the most part and thier appetite has dramatically decreased. They still eat when I present the food to them but its not to the extent of normal. They are all really nice hand trained friendly Tangs and fish and are never like this for me. They are even a little reluctant to even come up to eat from me. Its only been this way like I have said since this storm approached and is approaching they have started to act like this. So if anyone has any inside on if the pressure change from the storm coming is sending them into a natural hiding type of phase because they can feel the change in pressure or what ever it is I would like to get some kind of answers as to what is going on thanks everyone.
Just pleased to hear your still on the upkeep/management of your aquarium during the windy weather

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What I do know being near the great lakes- the salmon and trout tend to move out to deeper water prior to a storm. In an aquarium may be coincidence however I would look at things such as stray voltage and water quality which may be contributing to such odd behavior

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do know being near the great lakes- the salmon and trout tend to move out to deeper water prior to a storm. In an aquarium may be coincidence however I would look at things such as stray voltage and water quality which may be contributing to such odd behavior
Do fish feel stray voltage? I thought that was a myth and @Jay Hemdal has a thread on that. I had a clown trigger that bit everything which included the heater cord. Sure enough - I put my hand in the water once for reason I’m forgetting and I felt the shock. Don’t recall if I was grounded to a conductive source tho.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do fish feel stray voltage? I thought that was a myth and @Jay Hemdal has a thread on that. I had a clown trigger that bit everything which included the heater cord. Sure enough - I put my hand in the water once for reason I’m forgetting and I felt the shock. Don’t recall if I was grounded to a conductive source tho.
They act weird, not react in shock/distress as Jay stated to voltage.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish(tangs included) are behaving normally. I'm in swfl also!! Cape coral, where about are you?

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test results came back really good on biological in which I have to dose Nitrates to my tank just to keep them up because they were reading 0 and I got a 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia. Minerally im a little high but its not terrible and minerals shouldn't really effect the fish. Im currently working on raising ph as that came back low. Also I have a grounder cord to make sure the tank doesn't have any stray voltage and I would feel any type of voltage considering I always hand feed my fish. The only two cords in the whole tank are my reef octopus cord and my vectra return pump cord in my sump. My wavemakers are two of the mps that ecotech makes so no cords there. I don't use a heater because my tank is always in good temp around 76 to 78 degrees.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish(tangs included) are behaving normally. I'm in swfl also!! Cape coral, where about are you?
I am in NJ right now but I also live in Cape Coral

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im further north in port charlotte.
Nice. Its just about due west of Cape now. Very calm if you ask me, a couple bands passed through earlier and expect a couple more. P.c should be similar, it's far enough off shore. I worry for the people up in the big bend area..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you felt a shock, that wasn’t “stray” or induced voltage, that was a short to ground from some faulty device. That can be very dangerous - your tank should be hooked into a GFI circuit. Fish can react to that issue if hydrolysis starts up in the water from the current flow.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers will tell you that fish react to changes in weather. I’ve seen fish react to thunder and lightning. I think they also react to changes in air pressure, but I’m not positive.
Jay

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you felt a shock, that wasn’t “stray” or induced voltage, that was a short to ground from some faulty device. That can be very dangerous - your tank should be hooked into a GFI circuit. Fish can react to that issue if hydrolysis starts up in the water from the current flow.

Jay
It is hooked up to trip the outlet when voltage is detected

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hooked up to trip the outlet when voltage is detected
A true GFI then, not just a circuit breaker? That should have clamped down and cut the power before you got a shock. Something didn’t work right.

Jay

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true GFI then, not just a circuit breaker? That should have clamped down and cut the power before you got a shock. Something didn’t work right.

Jay
I believe that everything is functioning correctly as all the equipment I got was brand new and is only about a year old

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
all my tanks are plugged to GFCI plugs. In the case when the trigger bit into the heater cord and caused the short, was he feeling the shock as well?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back