Does anyone else do this with their powerheads?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine alone. Clean if/ when I can hear any extra noise( seems to work out to be once a year). I also overdo it on my pumps, I want it to be sufficient flow after its dirty. Haven't touched my return pump in the 5 or 6 years its been running, its fine...

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe you are running them on a low setting? Maybe max or some combination. The long and short of it is that they would not be running as designed by the manufacture or optimally. Especially since you already reduced flow by the cover / guards. Only the hobbyist can say if that will or will not work for them.

Personal preference though and nothing about OCD. I clean mine but at no set interval. I more or less check it as I observe the display and go from there. When I do clean I use citric acid, diluted of course. Only other thing worth mentioning is that if you do clean, not judging if you don't, keep a spare. Never know when something may not work the same after cleaning or other maintenance. In some cases it can make maintenance easier but taking it off line, swapping, and then bringing it back up. Then the one just removed let it soak, clean, and put away for the next swap.

Sort of kill two birds with one stone. Less down time, easier maintenance, and spare should something go South.
I've got spare wetsides. I'm sure they are not operating as efficient as they should be in their present condition. However, I've noticed no negative affects in my tank thus far. I just want to see how they appear astetically once fully covered and if they still operate to some degree of effectiveness. Guess I'm in the minority here obviously but seems like every good coral vendor shop I go in, their frag tanks, display reefs, sumps, etc... looks like equipment has been cleaned in years yet the tanks are pristine and flourishing. One shop I go in has a large sump operating maybe 100g I'm guessing and he said the rocks and bottom in there hasn't been touched in 15 years. His equipment in his tanks are covered with growth too but the frag tanks still work terrific for his inventory.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t dare do that. I try to maintain my equipment regularly. My pumps are soaked in citric acid every 6-8 weeks.

It looks good though !
Other then performance issues do you think there are other tank crashing hazards?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing tank crashing, but I have noticed temp rise a degree or 2 if they are very dirty(this is my main indicator to clean). 6 powerheads on the tank, no single pump can cause catastrophic effects

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other then performance issues do you think there are other tank crashing hazards?
Maybe not tank crashing, but if their flow decreases, then various creatures are more likely to get stuck in them.

Other than that I don’t think I would worry. For me equipment maintenance is a form of protection for my investment. I hate when I buy quality products and they die on me too soon. It still happens no matter what you do but at least I try…

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine alone. Clean if/ when I can hear any extra noise( seems to work out to be once a year). I also overdo it on my pumps, I want it to be sufficient flow after its dirty. Haven't touched my return pump in the 5 or 6 years its been running, its fine...
Haven't touched my return pump either probably should change my screen name to Lazy Reefer.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having zoas or palys on a powerhead would leave me super paranoid about palytoxin lol
There are very few palys and even fewer zoa corals that have toxin. All the years of aquaculture diluted them out from stuff I've read online. Still always be cautious.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't touched my return pump either probably should change my screen name to Lazy Reefer.
Lazy, efficient, all natural; depends who you ask. I bet alot of these guys would be reaching for the meds if I, likely you too, were to show sumps

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise. A few years ago I was dumping loads of phytoplankton in the tank. This frog leg looking thing started growing. Got about 3 inches, went away after the phyto craze. Still don't know what it was. I'll see if I can find pics, I know I did. It was very bizarre looking, keeps things interesting

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise. A few years ago I was dumping loads of phytoplankton in the tank. This frog leg looking thing started growing. Got about 3 inches, went away after the phyto craze. Still don't know what it was. I'll see if I can find pics, I know I did. It was very bizarre looking, keeps things interesting
Curious to see this hybrid creature.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see this hybrid creature.
Guess I didn't take as many pics as I thought(or I can't find them). This was taken in 2018. Ultimately looked the same but the "toes" developed a little more. I had a "flame scallop" and a couple nps, that I was attempting to ensure food for. Iirc i was adding about 200ml a day

Attachments

• 20181021_114326.jpg
    20181021_114326.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I didn't take as many pics as I thought(or I can't find them). This was taken in 2018. Ultimately looked the same but the "toes" developed a little more. I had a "flame scallop" and a couple nps, that I was attempting to ensure food for. Iirc i was adding about 200ml a day
Cool. I've got some guys that resemble that but smaller between 1/4 and 1/2 inch maybe in my sump. Like giant amphipods.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't know what to make of it. It didn't move on it's own, appears to have a vein running didn the "leg", connecting the "toes". Definitely interesting to think about

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let stuff grow all over mine but after about 3 weeks it would get completely clogged if I didn't scrape off the intake grill. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I cleaned this less than a week ago
IMG_1847.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back